PDA

View Full Version : Anti-psychotic with a SSRI

Josh21
19-10-14, 22:01
I've been prescribed Risperdal along with 200mg of Sertraline which I currently take. I'm currently going through a very tough time (suicidal thoughts) and wondering if taking it will just make worse and won't be able to get out of this bad spell.

Has anyopne taken a anti-psychotic along with a SSRI?
I have OCD and this augmentation is quite common in treating OCD hence why I my psychiatrist suggested I go onto it I guess.

hardy har har
20-10-14, 18:57
I don`t feel anyone here could really give you advice based on what you know and have told us. Personally sertraline made all food taste like paper, so I had to stop it. I tried a small amount of risperdal once and it made me severely depressed.

My point on this...meds can effect ppl in a good way (therapeutically) or in an unexpected way, usually making things worse.
I would write down all your physical and psychiatric symptoms on paper in a list.
Then read them to the doctor asking him how he/she is treating or planning to treat them. Try to write down what they say, and if you have some questions then, ask your doc and let us hear about them also.

MrAndy
20-10-14, 19:34
I took olanzapine with sert but only a small dose,it seemed to help a bit but I came off the sert because it was messing with my sleep

Emphyrio
20-10-14, 23:18
I tried risperidone - at both 0.5mg and 1mg - but the side effects were really nasty. Depression, apathy, derealisation, some visual perception issues - and I only took it for around 5 days at a time. I also have OCD and it didn't seem to do anything in that area but I wasn't on it for long.

Are the suicidal thoughts related to the OCD or are they generally depression-related in your case?

Sprat72
16-11-14, 06:28
I'm currently taking 0.5mg of risperidone along with 40mg of Paxil (I think it's called Seroxat in the UK?) and 1mg clonazepam. I've found the risperidone to be very helpful, and at the dosage I'm taking (which is tiny) very little side effects.

Sprat