PDA

View Full Version : Tips please for handling disturbing thoughts

sambo86
20-10-14, 14:34
Hi Guys,

I've recently been upped from 30mg - 40mg as I didn't feel much different going from 20mg - 30mg. I've been feeling low lately as I seem to be thinking more and more negative thoughts which really upsets me. If I'm on an up they don't bother me but if I'm feeling low they get a hold of me and it seems harder to shrug them off.

Your views would be really appreciated, many thanks :)

MrAndy
20-10-14, 15:07
let the thoughts come and float through them,remember they are just thoughts and dont have to be acted on.As time goes by they will lose their power ,you simply have to ignore them.I had the most terrible nasty intrusive thoughts but eventually they lost their power and finally went away
good luck

sambo86
20-10-14, 15:17
Thanks Andy :) Me 2! They really upset me sometimes. It's horrid as you upset yourself more thinking why do I think those nasty things, but I then reassure myself they are only thoughts & they will go away. Hope you don't mind me asking? Did you take medication to help with the thoughts?

gregcool
20-10-14, 15:31
Hi sam,i think most of us that have anxiety have these thoughts.i get them alot and try not to focus on them when i get them,i know there not nice when you have them but you have goto try and ignore them,,,,,easy said then done,,,,, but thats what you have to try and do mate

sambo86
20-10-14, 15:47
Thanks Andy :), the thoughts don't bother me as much when I'm feeling ok it's when I'm feeling low they get me. Thanks for taking the time to give your advice, appreciate it. Take care x

MrAndy
20-10-14, 17:14
Ive tried lots and lots of meds none really worked,the paul David book really helped and so did cbt,meds can't change your thoughts they are only a prop so shouldn't be relied on
http://www.anxietynomore.co.uk/the_book.html

MissLady83
20-10-14, 17:39
Just let the thoughts pass and don't add any fuel to them by getting anxious. What medication has the doctor given you. One tablets I used to be on made them thoughts worse

jonjones
21-10-14, 09:33
I think Dr Claire Weekes summed it up best when she wrote about first and second fear!

First Fear And Second Fear

It is normal when we first experience strange bodily and mental/emotional symptoms to feel fear. They can catch us off guard. We may be going about our days then they suddenly hit us. They knock us of balance and we feel scared. This reaction is what Dr Claire Weekes called first fear, the being aware of the sympotms themselves. But it is what we do next that is most important.

We can add further fear and worry to it by thinking, ¨Oh my God, what is this? I feel terrible!¨ Like I have mentioned above. Or we can think to ourselves ¨These symptoms are happening because my body and mind are tired from stress and worry. The same way they would happen if I had been doing hard exercise.¨

The irrational thoughts you experience are what Weekes called second fear. It is the fear you add to the fear you already feel. And it is what keeps the symptoms alive. When you feel anxious it is because your fatigued nervous system is firing off the symptoms at the slightest fear you feel. And then because your nervous system is controlled by your emotions when you add more fearful emotions on top of this then the symptoms are sustained.

It is like the symptoms are a burning fire. And when you add more fear to them then you are throwing wood on the fire so it becomes bigger and bigger. And the symptoms get worse. We get caught in a cycle. We feel fear and then add more fear, the sympotms get worse, which makes us more anxious, and then the cycle repeats. We drive ourselves to exhaustion; physical, mental, emotional and spiritual exhaustion.

Not Adding Second Fear

This is why not adding second fear is so important. We need to stop adding fuel to the fire. This way it will continue burning for some time but it will eventually die down.

As mentioned, typically what happens when a sufferer has the symptoms is that they become alarmed. They try to block it out and push it away by tensing and fighting against it. Which is adding second fear. And this over-excites our nervous system.

So we need to learn how to be indifferent to the symptoms. To let them happen, to let our heart palpitate, our stomachs churn, our hands tremble etc and not worry about it.

¨It´s a lot to ask!¨ I hear you protest! ¨The symptoms are very scary, we don´t wanna go near them with a six-foot pole.¨ But are they really so scary? Would it really make any difference if we were to worry about the symptoms or not? Do you thnk that if you were not to worry about them that you would be letting your guard down? That you would fall apart? This is the bluff!

The truth is that you don´t need to be on guard. You don´t need to anxiously run over different scenarios in your head, trying to make sense of the symptoms. The truth is that they are a result of chemical reactions in your body caused by feeling strong emotions. And once you learn to face, accept, float and let time pass then these chemical reactions subside.

Your body and mind calm down. The chaos turns into tranquility. You reach the stage where you have the sympotms but don´t feel anxious about being having them! You reach the eye of the storm! The symptoms rage but you feel indifferent to them. You see them for what they are. Insignificant symptoms of no medical importance!

Reaching The Eye Of The Storm

To stop adding second fear you must let it all happen and not get carried away with your irrational fears. This doesn´t mean that you ignore them. This would be running away. It means acknowledging that you feel anxious and not adding any more anxiety to it. It´s like switching off the fear response in your head. It means reaching the eye of the storm.

You put your mind into neutral. Almost like in Zen meditation. You are aware of what is happening, of the anxiety that you are feeling but you stop getting agitated by it. You experience your symptoms, whether they are palpitations, tension, a churning stomach, feelings of unreality and so on, and you become indifferent to them. You let them happen but dont add to them.

I remember David once explained it to me that it was like a parent who has nagging kids. They say ¨Mommy, Mommy I want some chocolate!¨ But you don´t listen to them. You say to yourself, ¨The symptoms can nag as much as they want but I am not going to get involved with them. I will let them happen and carry on with my day!¨ So you practise experiencing the symptoms and being neutral to them.

So keep things simple. Take deep breaths, exhale slowly face how you feel, let your body sag and feel heavy, and float, let it all happen. Let yourself feel anxious but don´t add more anxiety on top! Don´t add the second fear!

Floating
Floating is a technique that Weekes used to show sufferers how not to add second fear. Floating releases tension and frees you from your tight hold on yourself. Floating itself is not an active thing. It is something you allow to happen as opposed to actively trying to happen. Having a floating feeling come over your body calms the mind and reduces the second fear. As Weekes used to say ¨Let float, not fight be your slogan!¨

This is the way to deal with your anxiety. This is the way to get through situations that you find difficult. Continue dealing with yourself and not the situation, and keep building your confidence. Keep adding to that voice inside you that says ¨I´ve been here before and I got through it! So I can do it again!¨ This is what Weekes called ¨The Right Inner Voice!¨

Confidence combats fear. And when fear is no longer in your life you´ll be able to live the life you want and be the person you want to be!

Best,

Jon

Avasmummy_x
23-10-14, 12:34
I am going through the same right now I get racing thoughts and intrusive very scary thoughts. I'm really struggling atm as I end up panicking when I get them causing a panic attack only making the thoughts worse. It's been like this everyday for the past week I went to the doctors yesterday in tears and she's put me on fluoxtine 20mg which I'm picking up today. Hoping this is the beginning to my road to recovery.

Jonjones that's a brilliant post just wish it was that easy to apply! It's like I just can't help but panic.

sambo86
23-10-14, 16:17
Thanks very much JonJones fab advice!!! I feel better this week the thoughts don't scare me as much as I am not letting them bother. Stay strong AvasMummy you'll get there. I've had days where I am having thoughts and I can't see a way out but I do! The less anxiety you have the thoughts will seem not as scary. I was on citalopram 30mg and I was fine for a couple of months but the scary thoughts and anxiety came back bad last week & I felt very down again. I went to the docs Monday & he upped them to 40mg. I wasn't happy about it at first as I was on 20mg for 2 years 4 years ago and did really well on them I never felt like I was going backward. I came off them completely for 6 months but then needed them again. Have you tried walking? It helped me alot.