PDA

View Full Version : Question re Work and Health Anxiety

Munchlet
20-10-14, 17:21
Hi

I'm hoping some one might have some experience with this.

I've recently been offered a new job which I'm thrilled about as it means I will have more spare time and be able to go the gym which I can't do at the moment.

I've received all my standard forms in the post and one of them is a medical questionnaire which is basically assesssing your ability to do the job. The thing is one of the questions is "have you ever or do you suffer with depression, any type of mental illness, anxiety etc. If so have you or do you take medication for it.

I don't know what to say, as much as society is a lot better at dealing and recognising mental health issues I still believe that people get labelled and if I fill in yes I don't want them to withdraw my offer of employment particularly when my Health Anxiety has never in any way affected my ability to work or do my job.

It says if you withold information which is disclosed at a later date they could basically terminate your employement.

It also has tons of other questions like have you ever had a chest x ray?

I know they are asking to protect themselves but I don't really feel at this stage this is information I want to release because it bears absolutely no relevance to me doing the job.

Any one else had this and if so how did you deal with it?

thanks

Mrschurchill
20-10-14, 17:52
Aw this is a tough one. You want to be honest but you don't want them to know, which I totally get! It's such a horrible stigma. Personally id be truthful, some people can surprise you and more often than not, they probably have the same anxieties you do! Totally up to you though x

nomorepanic
20-10-14, 17:57
I thought it was now illegal to ask any health related questions so I would look into that to be honest.

Munchlet
20-10-14, 18:00
That's exactly it you do want to be honest but I'm thinking if I put that I have issues are they then going to approach my GP and ask for more info, as they have put on there that if they need to they'll contact my GP for more info.

It doesn't bear thinking about if they find out I've run to the surgery thinking I've had everything from Rabies to every form of cancer over the years. They'll just think I'm completely unhinged!

Think I might just have to toss a coin on this one, don't feel like I can win eithe way, thanks for the reply though it is appreciated. :D

KK77
20-10-14, 18:10
Some large companies think they have the right to be asking such personal questions when it has no relevance to the job and you shouldn't have to answer it. Certain jobs like working for police or other public sector bodies do have the right to ask because it could affect your ability, but even then it is discrimination without a full medical exam carried out by a doctor.

If there is a union attached to this company I would ask them for advice but legally you do not have to answer such questions if you feel it has nothing to do with them. It is confidential information after all.

almamatters
20-10-14, 18:22
Been through this dilema and it is tricky. Personally with my current job I was honest on the medical form, I put down I suffered with anxiety and mixed depression. I did get the job but I was known to them through casual work and had kind of already ' proved my ability '. I stay in my current job because I am too worried about going to a new employer and having to put my medical conditions down and I also think realistically they will give the job to someone who does not suffer with these conditions. It's unfair but some employers assume that you are going to have a lot of time of sick or just be incapable of doing the job . I have had less time off sick than most of my colleagues. I know people that have been honest on the forms and got jobs , it's really down to you and how you feel your employer will see things. Good luck

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:20 ----------

You could also have a chat with your GP, mine was very helpful and explained what kind of information would be released by them.

Munchlet
20-10-14, 18:34
Thanks guys you are great.

They have actually already sent me out the job offer but it does obviously say subject to relevant checks.

It's such a tough one, all I will be doing is working in a small school administration office and inputting information on the computer so I don't really feel they need to know the ins and outs of my business. Whilst I have health anxiety fortunately or unfortunately it only affects my life away from work and colleagues whom I have grown close to over the years have been amazed when I've confided in them that I suffer from anxiety.

I think I'm just not going to disclose it, I really want the job, know I can do it and if anything does come of it then I'll just have to put my hands up and say I didn't disclose it because it is completely irrelevant to my working ability.

I really appreciate the advice guys x

Serenity1990
20-10-14, 18:40
I thought it was now illegal to ask any health related questions so I would look into that to be honest.

My understanding is they can't ask such things before an employment offer, but they can do afterwards.

Personally I'd just tick "no".

Mindknot
21-10-14, 10:05
I would think it's probably a lot less sinister than it sounds, they just want to make sure that they, as your employer, know where they stand in case something goes wrong from their point of view i.e. with medication that you might be taking (i.e if drowsiness is a side effect, they might not want you driving...), or if an employee needs to go on long term sick...

It sounds like a very standardised form - it's a school, right? - think of all the stress/anxiety that is loaded on to teachers! It's probably those guys they are most worried about the mental health thereof.
So I would personally choose to admit it, because as you say it doesn't affect your work, but explain further if there is an option to do so. If they do choose to contact your GP, chances are that they only want confirm what treatments you are getting for it - and if it's out in the open there, you may get more support.

Just my thoughts, I don't know any of the legal issues or anything. Congratulations on the new job!

mummyanxious
21-10-14, 11:14
Surely if they withdrew your offer of employment it would be counted as discrimination?

Avasmummy_x
21-10-14, 11:27
I was just gonna say if they took the job offer away it would be discrimination

almamatters
21-10-14, 19:00
[QUOTE=Avasmummy_x;1364819]I was just gonna say if they took the job offer away it would be discrimination[/QUOT

I could be wrong but I think it depends on whether the job offer is conditional or unconditional on the medical questionnaire coming back ok.

MyNameIsTerry
22-10-14, 05:58
Surely if they withdrew your offer of employment it would be counted as discrimination?

The question is always going to be whether your mental or physical state would be made worse by their employement which would mean they have worsened a condition leaving them open to legal action.

---------- Post added at 05:58 ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 ----------

That's exactly it you do want to be honest but I'm thinking if I put that I have issues are they then going to approach my GP and ask for more info, as they have put on there that if they need to they'll contact my GP for more info.

It doesn't bear thinking about if they find out I've run to the surgery thinking I've had everything from Rabies to every form of cancer over the years. They'll just think I'm completely unhinged!

Think I might just have to toss a coin on this one, don't feel like I can win eithe way, thanks for the reply though it is appreciated. :D

Your GP will only disclose information if you have provided a written approval for them to do so in the private sector. I'm less sure in the public sector given some of the types of jobs in there.

This should explain what you need to know:

http://www.xperthr.co.uk/employment-law-manual/making-job-offers/20348/

Many employers elect to ask successful job applicants to undergo pre-employment medical checks to ensure their fitness to perform the job and to identify any pre-existing medical conditions. (See Pre-employment medical checks)
It is potential discrimination on the ground of disability to ask a job applicant to complete a health questionnaire or attend a medical examination before making a job offer to that person. (See Pre-employment medical checks)
In the event that a job applicant refuses to agree to a medical examination, the employer may legitimately decline to make a job offer, or withdraw a job offer that had been made conditional upon a satisfactory medical examination. (See Human rights implications)
Information about an individual's physical and mental health is regarded as "sensitive data" under the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Act requires the individual's express consent to be obtained before such information is processed. (See Medical questionnaires)