PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to be cured of emetophobia?

heths
01-01-07, 17:31
Does anyone know if it is?

I'm really struggling this last couple of days with my phobia (fear of vomitting). There's a bug going around and I'm so scared of getting it.

I'm feeling low and wondered if it is possible to get over this phobia?

Heather x

nomorepanic
01-01-07, 17:33
Yes with some professional help like CBT or you may like to try Hypnotherapy.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

heths
01-01-07, 18:56
Thank you Nicola

Heather x

PandaPie
05-01-07, 17:01
Hi heths,

I am an emetophobic - not cured yet although making it my new year's resolution for 2007. I am trying CBT. My GP says it might not be a cure, but it will make things more manageable. Have you been to your GP about this?

I know how scared you must feel, but just take normal precautions like washing your hands and eating healthily. I have also seen that hand foam advertised, which claims to be great at keeping nasty germs away.

heths
05-01-07, 19:17
Thank you for your reply Pandapie, I have a lady for CBT at the moment for agoraphobia. I've mentioned my other fears and she said she's going to link them all together as one. I don't know if that'll work or not. I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

Heather x

Rennie1989
05-01-07, 20:10
It is posible to over come any fear. I remember watching GMTV a while ago whehn he was curing people's phobias. Unfortunatly I couldn't watch anymore because I had to go to college. But with professional help and positive thinking you can over come it!

PandaPie
05-01-07, 23:59
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Thank you for your reply Pandapie, I have a lady for CBT at the moment for agoraphobia. I've mentioned my other fears and she said she's going to link them all together as one. I don't know if that'll work or not. I guess I'll have to see how it goes.

Heather x

<div align="right">Originally posted by heths - 05 January 2007 : 19:17:26</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Please let me know how you get on. I also have a few problems I need to sort too, it's all a bit daunting but anything must be better than continuing to feel helpless. Really wish you good luck with it. x

heths
06-01-07, 17:40
Thank you both for replies. It's still hard, but it helps to know there is help out there for this.

Heather x

Pebble
07-01-07, 10:37
I suffer from emetophobia along with fear of a few other symptoms. I have been getting a bit better by facing the symptoms reading Claire Weekes books although that can be difficult to do, I am getting better at it I think.

I think it is possible to be cured of it. I remember a time when I didn't have it, and now I do so as I read if a fear is learned it's possible to be "unlearned".

Kind Regards,
Pebble.

bb01234
08-01-07, 02:12
heths, it's possible to resolve the reason why your unconscious mind has chosen to generate this symptom for you. It's done it for you for some reason and when you're able to understand why and let it change it's approach it won't be there any more.

So, yes, change IS possible.

CBT, hypnotherapy or other fast ( ie not loads of months) cures could help you.

regards

Brian

heths
08-01-07, 14:11
Thank you Pebble and Brian. That's true, there was a time when I didn't have the phobia, so I should be able to unlearn it.

I saw my CBT therapist today, she is currently helping me to understand how I think and how my thoughts and behaviours are affecting me and how it's keeping my fear going.

All replies have been reassuring thank you everyone.

Heather x

bb01234
08-01-07, 14:20
it sounds like you are heading back in the right direction.

somewhere your mind has linked a cause (memory or suchlike) to the symptom ( what's happening now ) The symptom isn't the problem and once you see though that you can address the underlying issue.

Good luck, keep making good decisions

regards

brian

heths
08-01-07, 14:26
Thank you Brian

Heather x

nic77
08-01-07, 20:39
hi i have that as well do you stop eating

im not mad its everyone else

bb01234
09-01-07, 00:15
nicola77 you'd be surprised how many people have it. because it's one of the most basic things we have to 'do' it's a really powerful one to be done over with by our unconsious minds.

There will be a reason why your mind latched onto it.

regards

brian

heths
09-01-07, 12:15
Hi Nicola77, it does affect my eating yes. Are you getting any help for it?

Take Care,

Heather x

nic77
09-01-07, 14:54
no not yet but should be at the end of the month it has taken over a year for me to get any help and only got it after moving house . but the doctor i first saw about it said i had an eating disorder and ocd .do you see as an eating disorder

im not mad its every one else

heths
11-01-07, 14:04
Hi Nicola77, I know what you mean, it does take a long time to get help. Hope they do get in touch at end of the month.

No, I don't see it as an eating disorder, but people at the college I used to go to, used to think I had an eating disorder too. But I also have trouble eating when anxious also, which was the case then.

I also have OCD.

Take Care,

Heather x

heths
13-01-07, 14:33
Thank you Nigel, I'll have a look at those links.

Take care, :)

Heather x

Meg
13-01-07, 15:10
THis is far more common than you think and yes there is help available..

Good luck

Emetophobia
EXPOSURE THERAPY... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2712)
To Emetophobia sufferers (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2253)
1st day CBT exposure for emetaphobia = scary (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4930)
A visit to the Doctors (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5503)
CBT for emetophobia my experiences... (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5998)
Emetaphobia 101 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7053)

Eating/choking
eating & breathing (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3589)
Really frightend of Swallowing, (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3576)

Meg

proactiveness, positivity, persistence, perseverance and practice = progress

heths
15-01-07, 14:09
Thank you Meg, I'll have a look at those.

Heather x

KLK1107
19-01-07, 06:49
Hi! My name is Karissa, I am 22 and I just came across this forum tonight... I have been struggling with the fear of throwing up since before I can remember... I just recently found out that it is actually a common phobia! I thought I was insane because of how terrified I was of throwing up... I am constantly washing my hands, staying away from people who are sick, and constantly bugging my fiance with questions like do you think I am gonna get sick if I do this or this... or what do you think my chance are of throwing up? It is AWFUL... I used to not be able to watch people getting sick on tv either, but just recently I forced myself to watch the ENTIRE jackass 2 (including the outtakes which let me tell you have some nice throw up scenes) with my sister who has been bugging me to watch it with her, but I wouldn't because of how much I hate to throw up... I am currently in therapy, but all my therapist says to me is "throwing up is your bodies way of getting bad stuff out and you should be lucky your body can do that"... YEAH RIGHT I don't want my body to do that! Has anyone else had any luck finding treatments? If so or just to talk e-mail me highmntnce916@aol.com...

nic77
20-01-07, 23:25
i know how you feel im the same im planing a holiday and im now worried about getting sick on the plane but ive never really had a problem with motion sickness before but i keep asking my hubby if i will get sick .im not going until june

im not mad its every one else

KLK1107
21-01-07, 07:08
take some dramamine before you get on the plane... that's what I did when I had to go on a plane... it makes you tired and it's an anti-emetic... it helps ease your mind knowing that you aren't going to get sick since you took it... I sometimes have to take it in the car too because I get these weird motion sickness headaches all the time and I am so afraid of throwing up... it's horrible to get motion sickness when you are an emetophobe.