PDA

View Full Version : mumps? or something else?

Vigilante
21-10-14, 09:04
Well, I aint been right for around 2 weeks now,

It started with headache that felt like a mild migrane, then when I was talking to someone my right ear blocked and went kind of muffled - this was 11 days ago.

I then started to wake up with a one sided sore throat, that hurt to swallow before I noticed I had post nasal drip and excessive saliva then the whole of the last week I have just seemed to get worst not better. My mouth has continued to act strange it feels like I have both too much saliva but also a dry mouth at teh same time, of I guess it could be taking turns. I'm also getting pain in my face, specifically around my jaw and back teeth on both sides, I keep looking in the mirror expecting to see that my face is swallon but I can't really see a difference as yet.

I saw a dr yesterday who felt my glands and wasnt sure if they were raised at first then said the one on right side of my face did feel more so then then the rest - parotid gland, so he has ordered a blood test to check for mumps but he said it could be another virus thats maybe causing the symptoms?

I'm finding it very hard to talk at times, its like I cannot pronounce words correctly, maybe because of the saliva issues?

Anyone else experienced similar?

I wasn't even awear that a person could catch mumps more then once, I was told by my parents that I already had it as a child.

Also I have twin daughters who are at nursery school and they seem to catching a fair few viruses of late too, they have been quite clamy over the past 24 hours, but also had a cold 2 weeks ago.

Mindknot
21-10-14, 11:26
Am also worrying about the same thing - i feel like the area all under my chin and lower jaw is slightly swollen, my hearing has been muffled & popping etc - the doctor thought Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, but that was two weeks ago and it's still here and still feeling uncomfortable all around my jaw & ears. I don't really know what to do, I'm sure I was vaccinated against mumps, so can't be that, it gets worse during the day but I'm worried that I've been to the doctor so much for anxiety, that they will just ask me to wait longer and see what happens :shrug:

chickpea
21-10-14, 20:04
I had mumps in my late teens.
I felt properly unwell, and looked like the elephant man - it was very obvious it was classic mumps, with one side of my face like a hamster.