PDA

View Full Version : New job offer need advice

phil06
21-10-14, 12:35
I got offered a retail job xmas temp they said they would email me hours heard nothing. I am already in work and worried it may not be a good job as I've heard they work like 12-14 hour shifts sometimes and worry if it's the right choice. I told my boss in the shop im in now and he says I wont get my hours back if I drop down and keep two jobs on...I could get full time or kept on in the other job however I fear this new job may not be all it seems..:blush:

Brunette
21-10-14, 13:22
You need to find out what's expected of you before you make a decision. And don't sign the contract until you have read it properly!

If it's a second job you need to make sure you can manage the additional hours. It's also not a good idea to do it if it will jeopardise the first one. Better the devil you know...

phil06
21-10-14, 13:39
You need to find out what's expected of you before you make a decision. And don't sign the contract until you have read it properly!

If it's a second job you need to make sure you can manage the additional hours. It's also not a good idea to do it if it will jeopardise the first one. Better the devil you know...

They said something about signing a 50+ plus week contract for every worker but they know I have two jobs. I'm a little frustrated as I think I handed the CV in last xmas and theres not really been any word on what hours I am getting. I might look silly to my current employees and job if I never took this new job?

Brunette
21-10-14, 13:46
50+ hours is a full time job.

If it's a choice between them then think carefully about which one you want to do -but you can't do both.

Personally speaking, I would say that 50+ hours a week in retail is an absolute no-go. You will be exhausted, especially at Christmas. I'd steer clear if you can afford to.

phil06
21-10-14, 14:08
50+ hours is a full time job.

If it's a choice between them then think carefully about which one you want to do -but you can't do both.

Personally speaking, I would say that 50+ hours a week in retail is an absolute no-go. You will be exhausted, especially at Christmas. I'd steer clear if you can afford to.

Well my current one would mean keeping on a 16 hour job. I said I would do a few days which they agreed but the reviews of the shop in google say most of them make you work past your working hours and it can be like 8am - 8pm shifts..

phil06
28-10-14, 22:08
I took the job but its working just two days 8 hour shifts at the moment however I kept all my overtime on in my other job and am doing 12 days in a row..if I drop the overtime in the permanent job they hire someone new. What do I do?

phil06
29-10-14, 14:04
Made my mind up to not go back to the new job. Feel disappointed however if I kept the job on the likely hood was I had to drop "overtime" in my permanent job so they could hire someone else. New job was only two shifts though but been stressed up all night, no days off this week and had toilet trouble during the night.

I wish I could have gave it a go as I have often in the past left jobs too soon. The new job was ok not the best I've had anyway so maybe that's not as bad?

Still feel bad about the situation though. :blush:

Lucinda07
29-10-14, 18:45
You made the right decision. Better the Devil you know.There will be other opportunities.

phil06
31-10-14, 16:56
I still feel really bad.

I waited three and a half years for a new job opportunity and I gave up quickly

Right now I can't even apply to anymore jobs I just feel flat I know I could have stayed but my current job never helped as they wouldn't give me overtime ever again and they made me work 7 days between the two jobs for week before they were willing to change any rota anyway

:blush:

Lucinda07
31-10-14, 17:09
It must be a bitter blow, but the misery & disappointment will pass.
I don't even have the courage to try for a new job - so you are braver than me!

phil06
07-11-14, 14:23
Right another update

Another job called me, was xmas temp said collect an application so I opted to leave that one..

Today another job called me, got an interview no idea of its temp/permanent but I fancy the job more than the last one..so my questions are how do I handle it if I get the job?

Last time I asked to drop the overtime right away, my work were not too happy but reluctantly would have. Would they be annoyed if I take another job on yet again so soon? I feel I would just have to work my weekend contract this time in my current job I couldn't get myself in a pickle where I work "overtime" in my main job if I take another one on? Also I have to decide if it was temp if its work the risk of taking it on?

Any advice?

phil06
10-11-14, 13:43
Update

Got offered the job it was temp 16 hours over 5 days so I had to decline unfortunately as the hours were quite unsociable plus not really workable round my current job without the stress of a 7 day week again

I've been in my current job like 3 and a half years just wish there was something else :blush: