PDA

View Full Version : health anxiety and having children

Autumn18
21-10-14, 17:04
I don't have children, but am 27 and hope too (soonish).

Since my health anxiety and probably general anxiety started a few months ago, I wonder how people cope with this and have children?!

I worry about my own health, during pregnancy and birth (terrified of giving birth) but then also worrying about my baby's health and my health after birth!

I thought I would be trying to get pregnant this year but now it seems so far off due to my current mental and physical state. This year hasn't exactly gone to plan :(

Anyone dealt with health anxiety and got past it to have children??

charm1234
21-10-14, 17:10
well i got health aniexty after my second weirdly I trust doctors with them, but not with me that's why i know lot of me is panic and fearleaving them

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:09 ----------

dont let health aniexty ruin your family xxx

Mrschurchill
21-10-14, 17:25
I have a nearly 2 year and worry so much about her, but I do actually worry more about myself.
My health anxiety is the biggest reason for not having another baby. My fiancé just thinks I'm not broody but I'm too scared. I worry enough about me, can't handle bringing another baby into that xx

farley1109
21-10-14, 20:56
I have 2 kids both boys aged 3yeas and the 2nd is 5 months!.. I got over my HA just before getting pregnant with my 2nd and its only just come back the last few weeks.. I don't have HA for them it's about me I am worried I get worried that I am terminally ill and will be diagnosed when its to late!.. and the thought of leaving them terrifies me!..

Mrschurchill
21-10-14, 21:03
I totally get that to Chandy! I get so scared I'm going to leave her without her mummy :( it's tiring! X

farley1109
21-10-14, 21:07
it really is tiring Mrschurchill... but I cant talk to my fiancé about it as he was fed up the last time I had it and didn't understand!.. :(

KLP
21-10-14, 22:06
I totally know where your coming from. I too have discovered HA through motherhood. And like you it's my health more then my sons.

Autumn18
21-10-14, 22:07
It sounds truly exhausting. I know my husband won't allow us to have kids until I'm much better, as at the moment it's likely to make things worse. It doesn't help that I know someone who nearly died during labour and someone else who almost died about a week after giving birth!
At the start of this year all I wanted was to have a baby and now I spend everyday worrying about whether I need heart surgery or if I might have cancer!

Mrschurchill
21-10-14, 22:20
Is it bad that sometimes I think 'if I get pregnant again then it would prove I'm not sick'?
Sometimes think in the opposite though and begin to think I couldn't handle pregnancy if I had cancer or something as bad :( I'm tired just writing this! *siiiigggghhhhh* x

farley1109
21-10-14, 22:45
when I got pregnant 2 months after getting over my HA... I did say to myself I wouldn't of been able to get pregnant if I am dying of some terminal illness!.. if that helps!.. :/ so know what you mean Mrschurchill..

---------- Post added at 22:45 ---------- Previous post was at 22:43 ----------

Autumn18 - yes wise idea try and overcome your health anxiety before getting pregnant I did and I had a stress free 9 months and labour!.. it's only the last few weeks mine has come back due to my brother dying of cancer. now HA is back yayyy :(

mummyanxious
21-10-14, 22:53
I have two children and I have normal worries about their health. That meaning I don't obsess about their health. If they're ill I'm really rational and calm, the complete opposite of what I am with my own health. So don't let it put you off x

Autumn18
22-10-14, 19:55
So it seems like the anxiety mainly stays with yourself. That's good (in a way) that you don't pass it on to your kids. I wouldn't like for my children to grow up being afraid of everything because of my own fears.

[QUOTE=chandy1109 yes wise idea try and overcome your health anxiety before getting pregnant I did and I had a stress free 9 months and labour!.. it's only the last few weeks mine has come back due to my brother dying of cancer. now HA is back yayyy :([/QUOTE]

So sorry to hear this. I lost my Aunt a couple of months ago (the main reason for my HA) she was only 43 and died extremely suddenly and unexpectedly.

I have become afraid of life and death and everything else!

Emloo22
23-10-14, 21:57
I have two kids and had bad HA after both - ended up on meds - but I needed to to function. Glad I did too as you need to stay as sane as pos with kids. I still have bad times but try to not let the kids know/see so that they don't get it too (don't have much hope for them as it runs in my family)!!

Don't let it put you off though - there is never a right time to have children - there will always be something else you need to do. Just try to get yourself in a better state to cope with the pregnancy. See your doctor if necessary as its not good for you either to feel this way constantly. Hope you feel better soon.