PDA

View Full Version : when to book a doctors app? docs screen probably has a RED FLAG saying hypochondriac

farley1109
22-10-14, 21:59
Hey guys,

so I posted on here a few days ago about being back after a year and a bit HA free!.. but lost my bro to cancer last month and its triggered me off again!.. I am trying to convince myself its just stress/anxiety pains but its not working!.. :mad: I was going to wait another month to see if it goes by itself but don't know if I can wait that long!.. thing is when it was really bad in 2013 my doc just seemed to fob me off all the time!.. so now i'm worried it says hypochondriac in my notes and no one will take me seriously!.. ARRRRRRRRRRRRGH!..

Just needed a rant!.. thanks :yesyes:

chickpea
22-10-14, 22:11
Hypochondria/ health anxiety is an illness itself, albeit a mental health one.
My GP told me that something like 80% of appointments to see her are mental health issues at their root.
I think your idea of putting a wait time before you make an appointment is a good one. Maybe a month is too long for you, but how about a week, or ten days?
During that time, how about striking a deal with yourself that you will do your best to ignore any symptoms and instead, try the No More Panic CBT downloads.

If you still feel you need to see a doctor after waiting and focusing on other things, then you can happily make an appointment, knowing you've taken a step back and got some perspective.

farley1109
22-10-14, 22:19
thanks chickpea that's some great advice!.. where can I find the no more panic CBT downloads? I think I will give it 2 more weeks and then book one if the pains carry on I know my leg and arm pain is due to HA as I had them last year. but the pain under my ribs and abdominal area are new.. I am trying to forget the symptoms but there constant I tried making myself busy today by seeing friends and taking my kids out also cooked a soup and casserole from scratch and had a bath with candles to relax but still the pains are there! :(

chickpea
22-10-14, 22:28
If you look on the Panic attacks board, there's a sticky post linking to the downloads. It is a really great, easy to use course and will make you feel better immediately.

The pains you are getting are very real, so they won't go away straight away (Your body will need to catch up with your mind, once you're feeling calmer), but they will fade as you relax.

I'm really sorry about your brother - it's no wonder you're anxious.
I recently lost a friend to breast cancer - she was 38. Her death triggered horrendous abdominal pains and anxiety in me - I was convinced I too had cancer - and I saw my GP and had blood tests etc. All fine, as expected but even after I got the results, it's taken me several weeks to stop feeling poorly. The anxiety is still rumbling quietly under the surface, but I know it's because my nerves have been shredded and need time to heal.

Sunflower2
22-10-14, 22:31
I'm the complete opposite! I was due to go back to the doctors over a month ago but didn't, then cancelled another two appointments and now finally going tomorrow after being told by them I HAVE to go! Maybe we should swap haha!

blueangel
23-10-14, 10:32
When I first started getting really severe HA years ago, my GP's advice was to give things two weeks (obviously unless it was something that really did need emergency treatment). In that time, you're able to assess whether things are getting worse or better, or often some symptoms just go away on their own, especially anxiety-related ones.

Hope this helps.