PDA

View Full Version : Diazepam, are they slowly withdrawing this?

DOT COTTON
22-10-14, 23:51
Hi there I Have several mental health problems Including GAD, I went off the rails for a while and hadn't seen my Doctor in a year or so but after being sectioned I am in regular contact with him, He has put me on 45mg Mirtazapine for my depression, He also put me on Pregabalin (I am currently on 225mg twice daily) I asked him about Diazepam and he said yes but he only give me 2mg, I asked him about this as I wanted 5 or 10mg (which he has prescribed before), He said the health board are clamping down on this dramactically and Ill be lucky to get 2mg soon enough, I actually didnt believe him and he showed me his pc screen and when he put through 5mg to be prescribed it went back to 2mg by default. Has anyone else had this problem, 2mg do naff all for me. (Im in UK):bighug1:

nomorepanic
23-10-14, 00:03
Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

anthrokid
16-01-15, 23:15
The reason doctors don't like to prescribe anything above 2mg for diazepam is that, being a benzodiazepine, it can become an addictive medication and people can build up a tolerance very quickly. Once a tolerance is built up, it can be very difficult to stop taking the medication, and some people can go through quite severe withdrawal symptoms. There are also symptoms associated with heavy long-term use that can be a cause for concern. There are a lot of people who use diazepam as an addictive drug, and go from doctor to doctor for increased prescriptions, hence the tighter clamp on how much doctors can prescribe. That's not to say that everyone who takes diazepam will develop a tolerance and increase their dose to dangerous levels, or have harmful side effects, but unfortunately it has become a problem with oversupply from doctors in the past.