PDA

View Full Version : Heath anxiety for tablets.

Avasmummy_x
23-10-14, 16:13
Anyone have health anxiety over tablets?

I've just been prescribed fluoxtine and I'm petrified to take them normally I do a day or 2 on meds and stop them due to sickness and heightened anxiety so now I seem to have made a phobia of taking them full stop I'm worried of a allergic reaction and horrible side effects like I've had before how can I beat this I need to take these tablets my anxiety is constant right now!

chickpea
23-10-14, 22:04
What dose have you been prescribed?
You could try cutting the tablets in half or even quarters, and taking a smaller dose for a week before stepping up to the dose prescribed.
I was out on Citalopram and the starting dose of 20mg was too much for me. If I ever went back on it, or another medication for anxiety, I would start with a tiny dose and move up very slowly, to give my body a chance to adapt.

anthrokid
24-10-14, 22:59
Fluoxetine is the least likely to cause severe side-effects out of any SSRI medications. I know many people who have not had a single side-effect from fluoxetine. As for an allergic reaction, you would have had similar medications previously with no allergic reaction and it is super unlikely that you would have one now. And if you are really that worried, you could always take your first tablet sitting at the doctor's and wait around for 20 minutes in case anything happens :)

cattia
25-10-14, 14:09
I took fluoxotine and for me the side effects were very bad at first - increased anxiety, severe fatigue, feeling very spaced out, heavy limbs etc. I wanted to quit but luckily I have a friend who is a mental health nurse and she assured me that the side effects would go in two weeks. She was right, they did and a further two weeks after that, I started to feel the benefit from them. For me, fluoxotine was amazing. It was so effective in treating my anxiety and depression and so worth that initial two weeks of misery. Hopefully you won't suffer side effects, but if you do, just know that they are short lived and remember it takes a while for the effects to kick in.