PDA

View Full Version : Antitriptaline

jarvfi
01-01-07, 22:02
Hi

For the last 2 months ive been experiencing a horrible lightheaded / dizzy feeling which is horrible. My doctor has perscribed me antitriptaline to deal with the tiredness as he thinks it is a 70% chance of working.
Anyway I have been reluctant to take it and have managed to drag myself through the last couple of weeks without it.
This ended today when i got to a stage in which i just had to take it. About half an hour after taking them i got the worst dizziness i have ever had i had to lay down and when i stood back up it was awful. I dont want to take them anymore now.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so do you have any advice?
Many Thanks
Jarvis

darkangel
01-01-07, 22:24
do u mean amitriptyline?

........life is for living not just for surviving

jarvfi
02-01-07, 12:13
Yeah sorry I have trouble spelling some of these long words for illness / medications. I cant understand why they have to be so unpronouncable!

darkangel
02-01-07, 12:33
hi
its ok i thought thats what u mean - i can never spell it right either so dont worry.

can i ask you what dose you are taking ?

I have been on ami for about 2 yrs and yes it does cause dizziness at the begining - I take mine before bed - it may alos make you more thirsty.
Ami in my case makes u more relaxed and less tense muscles so helps u get a better sleep but if you need to get up during the night then you can feel quite dizzy though. Like all anti deps it gernerally takes about 4 weeks to properly kick in so speak to your gp again if u worried

........life is for living not just for surviving

sarah1984
02-01-07, 15:19
Hi there! Not sure how much I can help, but here goes: my mum was recently prescribed amitriptyline as she is suffering from a rheumatic condition, and apparently it affects the amount of REM (rapid eye movement sleep) you have. Mum took it once and she felt absolutely awful, very dizzy and sick, so perhaps the diziness is a common side effect.

jarvfi
02-01-07, 18:01
Hi

To respond to the first question ive been given 50mg which i see as being quite a strong dose. I cant really understand why the doc has given me this medication because i seem to able to sleep o.k neway so im not sure why i need it. Apparently it helps to remove the tiredness?
Thanks darkangel

Hi sarah

Thanks also for the reply yeah i def know what that dizziness felling is like it was horrible yesterday. At least i know that im not the only person who gets it! Thanks for the reassurance i hop you and your mum are now feeling much better.

Thanks to both of you
Jarvis

tiggy
02-01-07, 18:16
Hi do u mean amitriptylene?[:I]

D Denny