PDA

View Full Version : sinus congestion - very scared

louise0501
25-10-14, 01:44
Hi there. For quite a few years i have been suffering from a stuffy nose and sinus congestion and im really freaking out about it. I have it all the time and i dont have a cold, it feels really congested further up the sinus passage and not in the nostrel bit and sometimes its worst than others and im starting to think it may be sinus cancer as its so far up. Does anyone else suffer from this? I cant sleep as im panicking and feel like i cant breathe.

Please Reply
Love Louise xxxx

Kirbear4
25-10-14, 09:46
I do indeed! Apparently it is allergic rhinitis. I've used no end of different nose sprays and antihistamines but nothing has worked for me. The only thing that helps clear the congestion for some relief is Otrivine nasal spray, obviously though this isn't supposed to be a long term solution.

lisa1975
25-10-14, 09:56
I have rhinitus mines no allergic I've had loads of different sprays of doctor nothing works except what the other post says otrivine I use the drops I swear by them :)

Kirbear4
25-10-14, 10:23
Great aren't they Lisa? My Dr tells me off because I've used them constantly for about 2 years but they work so of course I'm going too! And they are about £5 cheaper than anything on prescription!

lisa1975
25-10-14, 11:53
Great aren't they Lisa? My Dr tells me off because I've used them constantly for about 2 years but they work so of course I'm going too! And they are about £5 cheaper than anything on prescription!

Yeah I swear by them I always have a bottle in the steroid spray don't work for me I try no to use it everyday an some weeks I don't need it but it instantly unblocks me I only have to use it once a day :)

louise0501
27-10-14, 18:47
Hi. Thanks for the replies, its good to know im not alone in this. The thing is which is worrying me is i feel like i can hardly breathe is this normal with sinus congestion? As im starting to worry maybe there is something wrong with my lungs? Also when i breathe in through my nose i feel air at the back of my mouth is that where my nose is so blocked or something else? Im panicking so much right now.

Please reply
love louise xxxx

Kirbear4
27-10-14, 19:06
Absolutely! Sometimes it makes me feel so bloody awful I end up crying, I thought my number was up the other week because I was struggling to breathe. I think you're supposed to feel air in your mouth when you breath?

I would pay a visit to your dr to officially diagnose you as there are different types of rhinitis etc. you may also need an inhaler or something to help with your breathing (I have one and it helps).

louise0501
28-10-14, 18:41
I just feel like something is seriously wrong this time? Even though i have had this for years i just keep worrying.
Its just awful at the minute worrying about everything.

Love louise x

Kirbear4
28-10-14, 22:48
I'm the same Louise, I do still worry about things even if I've had them for years. But I guess that's the reason we're on this forum, horrid health anxiety!

Go and see your Dr to put your mind at rest :)

:hugs:

Ange1
28-10-14, 23:32
My doctor said the steroid sprays were making mine worse. I couldn't even lay down in bed without at least 3 or 4 pillows or I would go all dizzy and feel like someone had smacked me in the nose with a sledgehammer! I found steaming over a bowl of either good old fashioned menthol crystals or a few drops of Apple cider vinegar helped. Tea tree and eucalyptus also good. Lemon and peppermint on tissue helped me sleep, very soothing.Then I discovered Plantago a herbal tincture that you take a few drops of in water every day. After taking for several months my sinus problem has not returned in almost a year now...highly recommend :) anxiety just makes the whole thing worse and the sinus symptoms make the anxiety worse! Xx

Abarth
28-10-14, 23:59
I feel your pain on this one as I have had this on and off for years. Best thing that I found was nasal douching with saline water; it really helps calm things down. Word of caution about the nasal sprays - overuse of drops like otrivine can cause rebound congestion which is horrible. Basically the lining of the nose can swell and block completely through use of this stuff. It's nothing to fear, but it is extremely uncomfortable. If your congestion gets really bad, you could try one of these 'salt' caves. Google them, some people swear it as a therapy. Whichever way, things will improve.