PDA

View Full Version : Epigastric pain - what is causing it?

Junot
25-10-14, 23:53
I've been experiencing epigastric discomfort for more than 10 days now. It's a sense of fullness/indigestion, sometimes accompanied by aching. The aching gets worse when I press over the epigastrium, especially over the junction between the esophagus and the stomach. The discomfort eased a bit on Thursday and yesterday, but it came back today. My pulse feels strong, yet my heart rate is rather low (58-64 bpm) - I've been taking it directly by placing my index and middle fingers over my wrist.
Last week I went to the ER due to similar epigastric discomfort symptoms, plus chest pain, dizzy spells, shortness of breath, chills and an episode of tachycardia accompanied by nausea. I had two ECGs done on that day that came back fine.
I also had other heart and blood tests done in August that came back fine.
I know that I have an incompetent cardia (the upper sphincter of my stomach doesn't close properly) but this epigastric discomfort doesn't seem to be related to it or GERD. If it were, I suppose the discomfort would ease with antacids and I would probably have an acidic taste in my mouth.
This said, yes, I'm afraid this might be cardiac pain due to ischemia. Coronary syndromes can be very insidious.
I gave up on my GP. He puts every symptom down to anxiety and doesn't refer me to further tests. Unfortunately, the psychiatry appointment I should have had on October 23 was postponed to October 30. In the meantime, I scheduled an appointment with the cardiologist I use to see, just in case, but it's only in November. At the hospital's ER, my clinical record is a collection of what doctors have deemed as anxiety/panic disorder acute episodes, to such an extent that I'm afraid that they might overlook or dismiss real functional/organic issues whenever I go there (be it a heart attack, pulmonary embolism or other serious functional/organic condition).
I'm lost. I just hope to be able to enjoy some peace of mind soon. At the moment, I'd willingly be put in a mental institution.

tan235
25-10-14, 23:58
I'm experience exactly the same thing. My DR told me it was Gastritis
I have pain in my upper GI tract just below where my ribs meet.
Terrible indigestion - I feel I can't eat anything an bad bowels to boot.
Dr says anxiety causes mine - but it's still awful ad I'm worried it will escalate to something else if I dont control it - sound similar?

Fishmanpa
26-10-14, 00:12
Awww Junot... I wish I had some words that would help. I've responded many times to your posts. You've been struggling with heart fears for so many years and I don't know what I or anyone could say to help you. All medical aspects, including multiple doctors and scientific tests have shown this not to be a physical issue due to anything sinister or "physical". What can anyone say or medical science do to help you? Your GP is spot on IMO.

You're a young man (compared to me anyway ~lol~), and have a family and life to live. Seek help in some shape or form to enable you to live it to the fullest.

Good luck and positive thoughts

Junot
26-10-14, 10:06
I'm experience exactly the same thing. My DR told me it was Gastritis
I have pain in my upper GI tract just below where my ribs meet.
Terrible indigestion - I feel I can't eat anything an bad bowels to boot.
Dr says anxiety causes mine - but it's still awful ad I'm worried it will escalate to something else if I dont control it - sound similar?

Somewhat similar, but in my case the symptoms are completely unrelated to food. They come and go in an irregular pattern. Hence why I suspect this is not related to the stomach, even though I have a diagnosed dysfunctional upper sphincter.

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 ----------

Awww Junot... I wish I had some words that would help. I've responded many times to your posts. You've been struggling with heart fears for so many years and I don't know what I or anyone could say to help you. All medical aspects, including multiple doctors and scientific tests have shown this not to be a physical issue due to anything sinister or "physical". What can anyone say or medical science do to help you? Your GP is spot on IMO.

You're a young man (compared to me anyway ~lol~), and have a family and life to live. Seek help in some shape or form to enable you to live it to the fullest.

Good luck and positive thoughts

Thanks for your words. It's always nice and soothing to read something positive and rational from you. At least it gives my mind a bit of the rationality it has lost, even if only for some moments, until the next symptom. But that's an issue on which I will have to work on with the psychiatrist.