PDA

View Full Version : Is This A Big Tumor Behind My Ear? Pic Attached

worriednow22
27-10-14, 06:52
Ok,

so I have always noticed behind each ear on my skull there is a big bone. But I was looking at my haircut from the back with a mirror against the mirror and was kinda shocked when I noticed what looked like a tumor/swelling behind my left ear.

The general "bulge" is behind both ears but much more pronounced behind my left ear. Plus my left ear sticks out more, is a little bigger and has a pea size lump on it.

Here is the pic. Just look at the general "bulge" and know that it looks worse in real life and is more pronounced. I looked it up on Google and read about something known as Mastoiditis. The only thing is it's not really red, irritated and it doesnt hurt.

http://i62.tinypic.com/2nb7z1w.jpg

What do you guys think? I almost feel like this cannot be normal. I just left the freaking ER for another problem too.

---------- Post added at 06:52 ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 ----------

BTW....it is more pronounced and sticks out more in real life. This pic is terrible...but its a pic of a small mirror looking at a bigger mirror.

eeesh
27-10-14, 09:56
Largely depends.

Is this new? If it is, then why not get it checked out? If it's been there for ages, I would ignore it. You can easily convince yourself you have never noticed it before when it is just a natural lumpy incongruence you have!

The chance of it not being 'normal' are incredibly low. That's probably not helpful, but bare in mind the statistical likelihood of it being malignant - it really doesn't warrant even thinking about.

Secondly, if there is a lump present behind both ears it is certainly a natural contour. Honestly, don't be silly.

The pea-sized lump on your ear will be cartilage.

Fishmanpa
27-10-14, 11:52
Obviously, no one can diagnose here. You said it's always been there but you've just really noticed it after a haircut and that the left side is more pronounced which coincides with your left ear being more pronounced. Sounds like that's the shape of your skull to be honest. You can go to the doctor if you want but if it's always been that way I think you'll get the same opinion.

Positive thoughts

worriednow22
27-10-14, 19:30
Thanks guys. For as long as I can remember I do remembering "feeling" that general shape with the bulge behind both ears. But to be honest....I have looked at my hair from the back many times in the past. I think maybe I noticed a slight bulge in that area...but I feel like its worse now. I was never concerned back then....so I feel like it might have gotten worse. I don't know...I just got back from the ER. I might get it checked out or not....not sure yet lol.