PDA

View Full Version : Okay, I Don't Have Meningitis....But Now I'm Scared of Heart Issues

anxiouskitten
27-10-14, 14:19
It will come as no surprise to most of you that, having survived my meningitis scare two weeks ago, I'm now fixated on something else...this time around, it's heart disease. Despite having seen a cardiologist twice (most recently in August), and being told that he saw nothing of concern, I (of course) am convinced that he missed something (or that I neglected to clearly articulate my symptoms, leading to a false diagnosis). He said that a additional testing (e.g. echocardiogram, stress test, Holter monitor) was not indicated, as my (multiple) ECGs, blood work, physical examination, family history, et cetera all looked clear (no obvious risk factors for heart disease). But the physical symptoms are very real and very scary....lightheaded/off-balance feeling, heart palpitations, easily tired....I'm still struggling to accept that it could be related to anxiety (and being out-of-shape). I'm seeing a therapist weekly, and have read countless books/articles regarding the topic, but I can't seem to let it go....just venting, I guess.

.Poppy.
27-10-14, 15:53
I'd be willing to bet that your exhaustion is because you are mentally exhausted. I'm going through a major patch of stress right now and I feel like I am tired all the time....it's not an illness, it's just that I'm tired of the stress and want to sleep it away.

Light-headedness and heart palpitations are anxiety symptoms as well. Hopefully your therapist can help you. Trust me, the sooner you realize it's anxiety and face it as anxiety, the quicker it will be for you to move past it :)