PDA

View Full Version : Valerian root any good??

Red angel
27-10-14, 18:30
Hi I suffer from GAD and PD I have tried antidepressants but I don't like the side effects as they make my anxiety 100 times worse so I'm looking for herbal remedies I have tried rescue pastilles but they don't do anything. I have been looking online and came across valerian root a lot of people are saying it has some same effect as diazepam without the addictive consequences I have ordered some hoping it will help me relax the way diazepam did I know it's not going to be as strong/good as diazepam just wanted to know has anyone tried this before and what was the outcome x

Lucinda07
27-10-14, 18:36
I tried it, but did not notice much difference. It must have been quite mild.

Red angel
27-10-14, 19:01
Thanks ...ill give it a try can't do any harm :-) xxx

MyNameIsTerry
28-10-14, 08:40
I've read that it can take a few weeks to build up in your system, you may want to look into that. Also, I think you have to cycle on & off with it, but I can't be sure if I am remembering this correctly or not.

It didn't do anything for me personally, but I was taking it more for sleep issues when I was pretty bad.

I didn't know it had an anti anxiety effect though.

MrAndy
28-10-14, 09:31
save your money on magic potions and seek out some good counselling or therapy.You will gain a lot more from that than a miracle cure

Emphyrio
28-10-14, 16:47
Passionflower extract was seem to be as effective as a benzodiazepine in one study. Its harder to find than valerian extract however. I keep meaning to try it some day.

Red angel
02-11-14, 20:01
Thanks for all your replies I have started to valerian root seems to relax me but not been taking it long so we will see if it keeps working or not :-) upto now I'm pretty pleased with it it takes te edge off x