PDA

View Full Version : I can't take anymore-! 2 years of LPR reflux.

Orange Lightning
27-10-14, 20:31
I can't face this terrible disease any longer. I want it all to end!!

I am still suffering with the exact symptoms of LPR reflux disease after 2 whole years. From shortness of breath to a sweet/minty taste, to constantly burping up liquid to constant mucus/throat clearing to burning throat - the list goes on. It hurts so much to see people live normal lives around me; I have to watch how I sleep, how I eat, even how I move and talk. LPR has had THE worst effect on my quality of life, but every time I get it tested, I have a "good" day where symptoms lessen considerably, or I make a mistake which means the results aren't accurate. For example:

- Endoscopy/Barium: Clear but this is to be expected in LPR.
- ENT scope: NOT CLEAR; ENT says signs of damage could be LPR.
- Rapid Spit Test: Mostly negative, but then I realised my local tap water was ruining results, so the only ones that count are the positive ones.
- Upper throat pH test: Semi-Negative; I kept swallowing saliva due to how uncomfortable the probe was, thus alkalinising the results more than I should have.
- 24 hour impedance: Showed gas reflux, but I had a good day as far as symptoms went; they returned only 2 days later.

With so many negative tests I've tried to go back to a normal life, but I JUST CAN'T. Every time I do the symptoms increase tenfold, especially the foul taste and acid burping. I've been off my Gaviscon Advance medication for a good few weeks now, but I refuse to stop drinking alkaline water because I just know my reflux has gotten worse. I keep getting a sweet and minty taste and menthol feeling that dries out my throat and makes my tongue tingly/burny (went without toothpaste for days on end and it still happened), my throat is blocked up with mucus and soreness, and I have even become hoarse for the first time in ages. I get indigestion, I get trouble swallowing, and it gets worse with exercise, eating and lying down flat. IT COULD ONLY BE LPR, BUT I CAN'T PROVE IT and nobody believes me. IT. IS. NOT. CAUSED. BY. ANXIETY. But it certainly has given me the worst depression and anxiety I could imagine. Nothing but LPR has ever made me want to throw myself in front of traffic just for blessed RELIEF from the pain it causes me.

Earlier today all I ate was bread and water. I started burping up acid-tasting stuff like no tomorrow and had to keep clearing my throat of the resulting mucus. Every time I burp, I get symptoms, guaranteed. Every time I find something that says it isn't LPR, a dozen other things tell me it must be and I'm deluding myself into thinking I'll ever be able to lead a life without suffering. I just want this suffering to end, please-! I can't take a whole lifetime of this, I can barely last 2 years with it!!!

susan1963
07-11-14, 10:27
hi orange lightening, i know exactly how you feel hun, i too have had the same symptoms as you for nearly 3 years now, i also had barium swallow at the start of it all and was told i have mild acid reflux i was put on acid reducing tablets but they seemed to make me more gassy so i stopped taking them, mine all kicked off 3 years ago after having a mild panic attack and i havent been the same since, i get a tight throat and seem to have gas in my stomach and have to belch nearly all the time gp said anxiety kicked it all off i still worry that sumut else is causing it cuz ive had it for so long, i dont have it every single day like i used to, but every couple of days ill get it back, its just awfall, i dont know what to suggest to help with it, but like you to know your defo not alone x:bighug1: