PDA

View Full Version : A little voice that won't go away-MS vision issues.

CleverLittleViper
27-10-14, 21:24
I know I need to let this go, but I just have one little niggle that is causing me to hold on. I think (foolishly no doubt :blush:) once I get reassurance that I can let this little niggle go, and be able to move on once and for all.

I just need to know if this sounds like MS. I feel incredibly stupid hanging onto something that the doctors have ruled out, and also that people here have explained to me (rather well, may I add) why my symptoms do not match up with it.

I told myself I'd let it go after getting a second opinion from another GP. Well, we all know how well that goes.

Around 6-7 months ago, I suffered from some eye issues. Not vision issues, per se because I could see perfectly fine. But what I eventually came to self-diagnose myself with Chronic Eye strain. It typically onset at night, especially after prolonged usage of the computer. But of course, reading things on the internet about eye problems and MS...I start to worry....

Essentially, my issues were itchy, dry, gritty, sore eyes. Mostly happened at night, and eased after sleep. Sometimes present during the day, but I do recall it being much worse at night. After a while, the issue gradually cleared up on its own and I never needed to visit a doctor or an optician.

Does any of that sound like it could be MS? Everything I've read about vision problems and MS, leads me to conclude that no, they're not remotely similar, and it's just coincidence that the onset of my anxiety has coincided 6-7 months after those eye issues.

I don't know if I should book another appointment to see my GP and ask the question. I'm not due to see her for another 6 weeks, and I was doing OK last week. I just have this little voice in the back of my mind that keeps reminding me of it.

.Poppy.
27-10-14, 21:41
It sounds like you hit the nail on the head with eye strain. Computers aren't good for our eyes, especially at night when there's limited light other than what the computer screen gives off. I know my eyes get dry and painful when I use the computer for too long - it's no fun.

I also have noticed that I have times when I'm more prone to computer-related eye strain. Go figure, but there are times I can be on it for hours and be okay and other times when I can be on for 30 minutes and my eyes are killing me.

Doesn't sound like MS to me, but maybe you could see an eye doctor (if you haven't been for awhile especially) to further address the problem. Maybe you need new glasses if you wear them, or just tips on how best to use the computer to prevent this problem. They may also be able to recommend you some good eye drops.

CleverLittleViper
27-10-14, 21:58
Thank you. :flowers:

I've been to the opticians recently, and she said my eyes are healthy and normal. Well, she said my vision hasn't changed all that much, aside from one eye has lost a little bit of strength in it (so it now evens them both up) but other than that (which she said was to be expected and perfectly normal) I have 20-20 vision.

I do need new glasses to even out my prescription. :blush: It might have been that, maybe I'm squinting as well without realising it and causing myself a little bit of eye strain, too.

I have thought that if it was MS I would expect actual changes in my vision, not just eye strain like symptoms. I was just curious about why it happened 6-7 months ago for a prolonged period of time and then just faded off, to never really bother me.

But I suppose who knows? I guess if I had something like MS, it would have shown up that something was amiss in my eye exam.