PDA

View Full Version : Post citalopram behaviour

daytona11
28-10-14, 00:34
I took between 10 & 30mg of Citalopram over a period of about 10years.I had some anxiety free periods,but towards the end when on the 30mg I was finding that my anxiety problems were worse and more frequent.i finally asked my GP if there was an alternative drug I could try and he prescribed Sertraline.He recommended a reduction programme to come off the Citalopram before starting the Sertraline.
When I had finally reduced the dose to zero and in the recommended one week rest period I browsed the forums to see what the side effects of Sertraline were and it really worried me.
Feeling a bit better I decided NOT to take the sertraline,I am now approx 8 weeks without medication and have been anxiety free for 7 of them.i have a lot more energy and my prompt decision making has returned,in fact I am quite Dynamic again.
However there is always a down side and these are
I am very snappy and can be aggressive if challenged.
I am very short tempered.
I have trouble sleeping for more than about 4 hours,and once awake I have to get up and get on with something.
I am very difficult to live with due to my fast pace and consequently it doesn't take a lot for me to fall out.
I won't take any Shit from anyone,whoever it is ,and deal with all situations head on.

I like the feeling of being Dynamic again,but my Family and friends are hating it.
I will not take medication again as I am certain it has caused my Anxiety over the last 10yrs.
I'm not sure what action to take?

Thanks to anyone who replies

Oosh
01-11-14, 12:38
8 weeks is still early days. These medications can result in personality changes and it can take time for you to stabilise after coming off them for such a long time.

I was on Prozac for four years and it took me way longer than 8 weeks to settle down once I stopped it.

Maybe keep a mood diary where you can monitor yourself and use things like exercise to burn off some of that dynamism. Grade yourself 1-10 on these things and notice if you're improving or not as the months go by.

venusbluejeans
01-11-14, 14:19
Hiya and welcome to NMP:welcome:

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes: