PDA

View Full Version : (Advice wanted) Separation anxiety and exams stress

Brainwash
28-10-14, 08:42
Hi all,
This is quite an embarrassing situation. I am 21 years old and I am currently experiencing extreme stress from the thought that both my parents are going overseas in the coming few days. Aside from that, I also have major exams and papers during that week.

I can't seem to cope and all I am doing now is think about them leaving overseas and me being alone! For the past two days I could not sleep at night even though I am really tired..

The last time they left the country, i was in the same situation and had to watch movies everyday to distract myself from those thoughts.

I don't want to break down again like last time and since I have exams this time, I want to be able to focus.

Any advice anyone can give me? I tried talking to my friends but none of them faced the same problem and I don't want them to judge me either.... What can i do? How do I overcome this? :weep::weep:

Oosh
28-10-14, 14:23
Ok what are some of the positives of your parents being away for a short while ?

I love it when the house is empty for days because i can potter about, concentrate only on me, tidy, organise, get around to focusing on issues in my life one by one and trying to solve them. I get things how i like them. I get things DONE !

Then i can do things i enjoy like escape into movies with food i like or play ps4 games in the dark.

You obviously PREFER it when your mum and dad are there but if you think about it you can actually use this time alone to get things done, try things youve wanted to try and enjoy things in the peace and quiet.

Not to mention you get time to prepare for your exams. I think the peace and quiet is good timing in that respect.

You dont want to voice your concerns to your friends, i can understand that, but can you not say to your best friend "mum and dad are going away and i am going to be bored on my own. Do you want to stay over for a few days. We can have a laugh doing this and that" ?

Or even stay at one of their houses ?

Use your devices and stay connected to everyone.

Stay connected to here. Lots of nice people about on here all day.

(dont forget studying)

Brainwash
28-10-14, 15:20
Thank you so much for the valuable advice.

Guess this is something I really have to work on, slowly. And also to change my mindset that it's not all bad that they are going overseas.

I read online about separation anxiety and I seem to have no qualms about me going overseas alone but when they leave me, thats when i start to get anxious. How strange....

Thank you again. This website has saved my life countless of time. :)