PDA

View Full Version : Low white cell count

Gnet
28-10-14, 12:46
I had a blood test about a week ago and the doc rang to say I had a below normal white cell count and he will do another test in 6 weeks. He was concerned because he knew my dads history with
myliodisplasia and looking back at my blood tests over the past it has gone down. Dad died earlier this year. It was a shock and I went into an instant anxiety state. I have to wait six weeks he said so he has some backup with another blood test before he can instigate tests. Everyone says it's silly to think the worst it could be a virus but doesn't feel that is the case to me. It is such a long time to wait. I use lemon balm tincture, which helps temporarily and before bed. I am 60 so a frantic.

chickpea
30-10-14, 00:05
I had a blood test about a week ago and the doc rang to say I had a below normal white cell count and he will do another test in 6 weeks. He was concerned because he knew my dads history with
myliodisplasia and looking back at my blood tests over the past it has gone down. Dad died earlier this year. It was a shock and I went into an instant anxiety state. I have to wait six weeks he said so he has some backup with another blood test before he can instigate tests. Everyone says it's silly to think the worst it could be a virus but doesn't feel that is the case to me. It is such a long time to wait. I use lemon balm tincture, which helps temporarily and before bed. I am 60 so a frantic.

Your anxiety is understandable, but try to keep in mind that your doctor would surely taking further action sooner if he thought there was a need to.
I'm sure there are various common reasons why your white cell count may be reduced. Try to stay positive and maybe find a way to relax and not dwell on the what if' s.

KLP
30-10-14, 00:12
I have a history of a low wbc. It can be that yours like mine is low, range from 3.8 to 3.2 it has touched on 2.9 (when I was in the midst of my anxiety). Ask doc for blood test history. That how I found out.

Gnet
30-10-14, 11:01
Thank you chickpea and KLP for your reply. Chickpea I am starting to work on my anxiety and am recognising the symptoms now and working through them. KLP I will ask when I go back fingers crossed.

chickpea
30-10-14, 11:28
Great to hear. It's positive to tackle the things within your control, and let go of those that aren't.

eeesh
30-10-14, 23:13

Were your WBC low of any concern your gp would be taking more precautions with your immunity, so do not worry. Very normal for blood counts to fluctuate, which is why this means nothing without the differential.

Likely just a virus, or a natural fluctuation. Anything 'slightly' off the mark shouldn't be fretted over. These things are not set in stone, and each 'range' is variable depending on the standards of your practice.

Gnet
31-10-14, 05:51
Thank you Eeesh that is reassuring. I am starting to see straight now and see it for what it is, still getting anxiety at times but now sleeping and not dwelling on it. Thank you