PDA

View Full Version : new boy... old story

toffeechris
02-01-07, 12:16
Hi all! Im a newbie here, but delighted a forum like this exists. For the last 4 years i've become some kind of amateur doc what with self diagnosing every ache and pain appearing in my body. Now being a reasonably rational person i realise im obviously not doing myself any favours. I've got this strange sensation in my left arm at the moment, its not a pain, more like a very mild numbness, but its now running through my head all day that left arm pain = heartattack! Im aware that im reading too much into it, but i was lay in bed last night for about 3 hours waiting for the worst to happen, which of course never happened. Im 30 now and quite healthy, although im not doing enough exercise at the moment, This situation is becoming more and more prevalant in my life and its starting to hack me off as i know im being silly, but cant seem to escape the onset of panic and worry at the slightest pain in my chest or arm. Apologies for rant but i've not been able to put this in writing before. Thanks folks.:)

kittykat
02-01-07, 12:26
Hi there ,

Welcome to the site and i can totally relate to how you're feeling. I've had numerous life threatening illnesses and guess what i'm still here, but although you try to be rational you just cant help yourself its scarey stuff this health anxiety. Hope u feel better soon and feel free to pm me any time.

Take care xx

toffeechris
02-01-07, 12:32
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hi there ,

Welcome to the site and i can totally relate to how you're feeling. I've had numerous life threatening illnesses and guess what i'm still here, but although you try to be rational you just cant help yourself its scarey stuff this health anxiety. Hope u feel better soon and feel free to pm me any time.

Take care xx

<div align="right">Originally posted by kittykat - 02 January 2007 : 12:26:35</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Thanks a lot KittyKat.

anxious
02-01-07, 12:55
Hiya and welcome to the site. I have health anxiety also, it makes you so aware of your body its almost painful. We also ignore the rational explanation to anything and go straight too our worst nightmare senario (all within two seconds of finding something).
You've probably trapped a nerve or something. I once got numbness in my little finger, next one too it & running down outside of arm from elbow to wrist. MS was my fear but it turned out i was pressing on a nerve when using the mouse!!

anx xx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

toffeechris
02-01-07, 13:31
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hiya and welcome to the site. I have health anxiety also, it makes you so aware of your body its almost painful. We also ignore the rational explanation to anything and go straight too our worst nightmare senario (all within two seconds of finding something).
You've probably trapped a nerve or something. I once got numbness in my little finger, next one too it & running down outside of arm from elbow to wrist. MS was my fear but it turned out i was pressing on a nerve when using the mouse!!

anx xx

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

<div align="right">Originally posted by anxious - 02 January 2007 : 12:55:20</div id="right">

Aint that the truth! Im thinking its probably nothing, but as you say to fear the worst is always my first reaction. Cheers[^]

manmoor
02-01-07, 14:20
Hi There,

A big warm welcome to you. I too suffer from health anxiety and know how tough it can be for us.

Take Care

Mandyxx

piglits pal
02-01-07, 14:37
Hi

Another health anxiety person toughing it out with the rest of you.

Lauradee
02-01-07, 16:35
Hello toffeechris

when i had my last panic attack i had numbness in my left arm too it was in the middle of the night and i thought the same- heart attack! I got myself in such a state that i didnt sleep all night and went to the doctors in the morning. She checked me over and of course I WAS OK!
But at the time its very scary. When im at my worst i imagine all kinds of things like heart attacks, brain heamorrages all sorts! it does pass but i know how you feel

:)

lauradee

toffeechris
02-01-07, 16:54
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Hello toffeechris

when i had my last panic attack i had numbness in my left arm too it was in the middle of the night and i thought the same- heart attack! I got myself in such a state that i didnt sleep all night and went to the doctors in the morning. She checked me over and of course I WAS OK!
But at the time its very scary. When im at my worst i imagine all kinds of things like heart attacks, brain heamorrages all sorts! it does pass but i know how you feel

:)

lauradee

<div align="right">Originally posted by Lauradee - 02 January 2007 : 16:35:03</div id="right">

Although I'm not happy to hear that this happened to you too, It is comforting to know that its all in my head and that i'm not about to keel over anytime soon!. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

worrywuss
02-01-07, 17:08
hiya toffeechris,

im sure you have nothing to worry about but i know what you mean about fearing the worst at every little niggle!!

i do this all the time whenever i have a panic attack and imagine im going to croak it from a heart attack right there and then. of course i dont but the fears still there [V]

hope you feel better soon and are you taking any meds?

rachel xxx

toffeechris
02-01-07, 17:24
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">hiya toffeechris,

im sure you have nothing to worry about but i know what you mean about fearing the worst at every little niggle!!

i do this all the time whenever i have a panic attack and imagine im going to croak it from a heart attack right there and then. of course i dont but the fears still there [V]

hope you feel better soon and are you taking any meds?

rachel xxx

<div align="right">Originally posted by worrywuss - 02 January 2007 : 17:08:47</div id="right">

Nah no meds so far. Its something i'll try and overcome without going down that route. It only seems to be worse at this time of year. I am slowly changing my lifestyle to minimise the onset of these panics though.

nomorepanic
02-01-07, 19:30
Welcome aboard Chris and lovely to see you here.

Hope you get some great support.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

nomorepanic
02-01-07, 19:44
Try this as well...

Numbness or tingling in hands and feet

What you feel:

You feel pins and needles in your hands and feet, or other parts of your body. Sometimes you get a feeling like a particular area of your body is numb or frozen. Other times you may feel a burning sensation in your arms, legs or face.

What causes this:

Since the nervous system conveys touch sensations to the brain, when the nervous system is over stimulated, it can sometimes send impaired information which will often be felt as a numbness, tingling or pins and needles. For example, when an individual pinches a nerve they usually feel the results of this as numbness or tingling in a certain part of the body.

Because the entire skin area of the body is touch sensitive (nerves cells connected to the brain through the nervous system network), any part of the skin or body can feel numb, tingly or as pins and needles.

Typically this sensation comes and goes, and will affect a wide range of body areas off and on. It’s nothing to be concerned with and will subside once the nervous system gets sufficient rest.

Nicola

trac67
02-01-07, 21:12
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain'

toffeechris
03-01-07, 12:02
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">Try this as well...

Numbness or tingling in hands and feet

What you feel:

You feel pins and needles in your hands and feet, or other parts of your body. Sometimes you get a feeling like a particular area of your body is numb or frozen. Other times you may feel a burning sensation in your arms, legs or face.

What causes this:

Since the nervous system conveys touch sensations to the brain, when the nervous system is over stimulated, it can sometimes send impaired information which will often be felt as a numbness, tingling or pins and needles. For example, when an individual pinches a nerve they usually feel the results of this as numbness or tingling in a certain part of the body.

Because the entire skin area of the body is touch sensitive (nerves cells connected to the brain through the nervous system network), any part of the skin or body can feel numb, tingly or as pins and needles.

Typically this sensation comes and goes, and will affect a wide range of body areas off and on. It’s nothing to be concerned with and will subside once the nervous system gets sufficient rest.

Nicola

<div align="right">Originally posted by nomorepanic - 02 January 2007 : 19:44:18</div id="right">
Thanks a lot for the advice Nicola. Its a great relief to put meaning to these feelings. This site has been a such a find for me. Its a pity its taken to so long for me to come across it!

MasterJPK69
03-01-07, 21:49
Hello i am new to this forum and i have gotten alot of info from here that has helped me cope a bit more. I have the numbness in my are to right at this moment i have been getting this for four months and had test and every thing to find out what is wrong. the first thing i thought was oh no i am having a heart attach but every test was negitive including a stress test and ekg and ecg. I have started to just accept it but i do find my self slipping and getting worried a little here and there. this is a process that is surely going to take some time to overcome. If you have been checked by a doctor i am sure you are just having anxiety so try to relax. I know what you are feeling It scares that hell out of ya a bit and some times it is hard to relax but you have to you will be fine. And if you are still second guessing the doc i ahve done that too it will only cost ya more to go and find nothing is wrong but if it eases your mind the go and do that what ever relaxes ya !!!!!!!

James

Patience is a Virtue!
Remember good things come to those who wait for them!