PDA

View Full Version : Feeling not safe

heths
02-01-07, 13:29
I'm struggling at the moment again with my anxiety and I was thinking this morning, and I realized that I don't feel safe. I mean within myself.

I was thinking that I don't think I've felt safe for a long time. I do feel more safe at home than when out, but there's this feeling missing inside. It could be confidence I don't know.

I think the last time I felt safe was when I was a kid. I still live with my parents now but just nothing anyone says seems to help this feeling I have. It does feel better when I'm not so anxious though. But still it's like I need to keep doing things or finding things to make me feel safe. Like my ocd, I've had ocd for years, and I think I do that to feel safe.

I wondered if anyone knows what I mean about this not feeling safe feeling?

Thanks for reading,

Heather x

matt1981
02-01-07, 14:45
Hiya I think I know what you mean. When I am anywhere except at home I feel more anxious and insecure. I also feel the need to be doing something all the time. I think a lot of it is a lack of confidence. Try to think of the thoughts that you have when you are feeling anxious and challenge those thoughts and try and challenge them when you are feeling les anxious because they work better :)

hope this helps and I wasnt just rambling!

Take Care.. Matt x

feels_like_home
02-01-07, 15:54
Hi Heather,
I too have that feeling. Even when I am at home I just feel like I have to be doing something so I can't think about the anxiety. I can never just sit and feel relaxed and comfortable. The more anxious I am the worse this feeling is. I always have this feeling like something is wrong. You are not alone.
Hope this helps.
Michelle

tree
02-01-07, 17:35
hey heaths,
Ive to had this feeling of not feeling self within myself, I think alot of it is self confidence and the way you think people look at you. Ive also had ocd checking and the really only reason i done it was to reaasure myself and make myself feel comfortable. One way i was told to get rid of these feelings was to stick with and imagine what could happen, and day by day when none of these things do happen you gradually feel more comfortable. It was the same for my ocd i had to stop checking which was the worse part, but when i realised nothing was happening if i done it or not i managed to gradually stop.
Hopes this helps abit. chris

heths
03-01-07, 16:13
Thank you everyone, it does sound like a lack of confidence. It does help that people understand what I mean.

Heather x