PDA

View Full Version : Psychiatrist appointment tomorrow - expectations and apprehensions

Junot
29-10-14, 12:22
I'm seeing a new psychiatrist tomorrow. I haven't seen one for several months now and I stopped the old one's medication in April this year (75 mg of fluoxetine [Prozac] twice a day) on my own initiative. Why? I wanted to get rid of all those awful antidepressant side effects that had taken over me. My purpose was to put off all the weight I gained during 8 years of antidepressant therapy and to bring my cholesterol back to its normal range. In the meantime, I've put off about 30 kg (66 lbs) and, yes, my cholesterol is again where it should be.

I have great expectations regarding this new psychiatrist. I was told that he's more than a drug-prescribing machine, allow me to put it on those terms, and that he works a lot with his patients on a mental, psychotherapeutic level. I hope he does. As to the apprehensions, I'm afraid that he might consider my case as severe and puts me on antidepressants again - just as all the others did before him. Or worse, that he puts me as well on antipsychotic drugs (as my previous psychiatrist attempted to do - I didn't take one pill of it, of course). Either of those two classes of drugs cause weight gain, act on the metabolism (especially on the lipids), on the heart, amongst many other things, hormonal regulation included.

That said, I hope that both the psychiatrist and I can get to terms on a therapeutic strategy that involves only minor tranquilizers (such as benzodiazepines) and a lot of psychotherapeutic work. I wouldn't be able to bear the physical and psychological consequences of weight gain again or to see my cholesterol to skyrocket one more time. Not after all the physical and psychological effort that I've been putting into my every day life during these past months in order to come back to what I was before anxiety/panic disorder (at least physically and physiologically, because psychologically I guess that I'm worse than I have ever been).

Fishmanpa
29-10-14, 14:37
This is good to hear Junot!

I would make your wishes known about meds. That being said, you're going to have to work on it and show progress. And don't totally discount the meds as there are several that can help without as many side effects.

Concerning the work aspect? It's no different than me having to do the physical therapies I need to do to keep the "new normal" where it's at. If I stop doing them, I will risk losing certain things that people take for granted like swallowing! I also teach guitar and tell my students all the time... Practice, practice, practice, practice.... and when you think you've practiced enough, practice some more. Some of the techniques that you will be asked to use require practice to make them second nature. Those tools will enable you to stop the negative self talk and thought patterns that have held you in slavery all these years.

Please let us know how things went and again, kudos for taking that step!

Positive thoughts

Primula
29-10-14, 15:36
Good luck Junot, sounds promising. Great advice Fishmanpa, yes practice is key, something I keep forgetting, and then beat myself up over when I have a blip.

Junot
30-10-14, 12:52
Thanks to both of you for your support and advice. I'll let you know later on how it went.