PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Saliva

rmuscat18
29-10-14, 18:21
Hi, Im a 23 year old man. about 8 months ago I had a low-risk HIV possibility of infection. I got the test done after 4 weeks at they came back as negative. However this has left me scarred since then. I have been for the last 8 months thinking daily about the possibility of being infected. My Doctors and nursed told me not too worry and that I was over thinking everything. The first signs (flue like symptoms) were extremely mild and only last for about 2 days, and seemed to disappear when i was busy and when a few friends came over to visit me at university. Since then i spent 5-6 months in a pretty calmed state where even though I thought about it, I never really felt anything

Since 3 months ago I got slightly ill and since then its been hell. I have been feeling a constant lump in my throat which seems to be mucus. in The last few weeks iv'e also developed very sticky saliva which especially settles on my lips. The saliva is quite stick but clear. When i sort of work it out together it becomes a whitish cloudy colour.

I have no idea wether this is anxiety related due to possible IBS symptoms creating acid or wether it is something like an infection (Oral trush or Sinusitis). The latter two although infections can be easily treated with antibiotics but still could be a sign of a depleted immune system.

Almost 2 months ago i went to a doctor and specifically asked wether I had a fungal infection? She assured me that I didn't but it only got worse since then. I don't have any white patches in my mouth.

The lump in throat feeling only seems to bother me when i'm alone and thinking about it, It never bothers me when i'm busy or chatting to people (a month ago I was at a 2 week seminar ..constantly busy and with people... it almost never seemed to bother me during those days). This has lead me to believe its anxiety related, however its really not as simple as saying it is it? Although I don't get any panic attacks, I still am constantly thinking about it and really cant get my head off it.

Would appreciate any words of advice.

Thank you!

Fishmanpa
29-10-14, 18:29
From the symptoms link here.

Positive thoughts

Throat tightening/Choking/Swallowing problems

What you feel:

Often one of the first symptoms of anxiety. People complain of feeling as though they will choke or being strangled. In reality its not nearly so dramatic – the muscles in the throat contract and salivary glands produce thick mucus leading to a feeling of restriction around the throat, it can produce a feeling that you are having difficulty swallowing or breathing. In fact you are not having difficulty, it just feels as though you are. You also get a dry mouth and it can feel like you cannot drink but you can.

You feel as though there is something stuck in your throat or sometimes feel there is a lump in your throat. Other times you may feel that you can barely swallow or that there is a tightness in the throat, or that you have to really force yourself to swallow. Sometimes this feeling can lead you to think that you may suffocate or get something stuck in your throat.

What causes this:

When in danger, stress biology produces a tightening in the throat muscles which produces the choking or 'something stuck in the throat' feeling. When in a nervous or stressful situation, many people will experience this feeling. It is often referred to as 'a lump on your throat'.

There is minimal danger of choking or suffocating under normal conditions, however, some people are very sensitive to things in their throat and therefore caution should always be observed when eating. Chewing food thoroughly andslowly will prevent inadvertently swallowing something that may provoke someone to gag. This symptom can come and go, and may seem to intensify if one becomes focused on it.

Pipkin
29-10-14, 18:41
I agree with FMP. The telltale sign that anxiety is your problem is when you say that the symptoms are less noticeable when you're distracted, like during your seminar.

I understand how difficult it is to come to terms with. The symptoms feel so real because they are real and you just can't understand how anxiety can make you feel so ill. Trust me, it can and will continue to until you can accept that this is the cause.

My advice would be to have an open and frank conversation with your GP. This way, you can start to get the help you need. Oh yes, and keep posting on here. Not only will it help you to know that you're far from alone but I'm sure you'll be able to give some vital help to others too.

Take care

Pip x