PDA

View Full Version : Can't breath in

bingjam
29-10-14, 22:14
Sooooi..... I had a breathing thingy have no idea what to call it the other say where I kept waking up gasping for breath

Well today I had it when I was just sitting there I felt like I couldn't breath and someone was chocking me, it took me a good few attempts to actually breath in which freaked me out

Now tonight I'm falling asleep then I have to sit up to actually beable to breath again and my heart started palpitating

So yeah I'm kind of scared I'm just going to stop breathing

bingjam
30-10-14, 05:42
No one?

mummyanxious
30-10-14, 08:21
Every so often I automatically take a deeper breath. Think it's because you're body is restoring its balance maybe. Maybe when you shallow breath for too long. Maybe I'm talking twaddle though.
Perhaps if its happening frequently at night it would be best to speak to the dr just to get their opinion on what it is. I know sleep apnea was mentioned to you. This can be checked via sleep studies etc. I don't know if you have any risk factors for sleep apnea?
I know when I was at a high period of an left I woke up gasping twice.

MyNameIsTerry
30-10-14, 08:52
Could it have been posture in that you were cramping your diaphram?

bingjam
30-10-14, 17:49
It's really worryin me,my anxiety is pretty bad again right now

I'm hoping it's just due to that but when it happens I just think it's not normal

---------- Post added at 17:49 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

No I don't think it was my posture either, I was lying down when most of them happened or I was sitting how I normally sit

Female healthanxiety
30-10-14, 18:21
Hello Bingjam,

I have this quite a lot, I had it recently when I was nodding off to sleep and then I woke up disorientated and out of breath - it is just anxiety but it is scary, I will agree.

I remember once telling my DR about it when it used to happen: he said yes it is just anxiety and nothing to worry about.

It's the adrenalin, and unfortunately we cannot control what it does at times.

It is a typical symptom of anxiety and unfortunately, the more we think about it, the more it happens.

Xxx

bingjam
30-10-14, 23:29
Awww thanks for that reply made me feel a little better,

I was just about to write another reply before I saw yours. I've just been dozing of and had a feeling like a brain zap or something and couldn't swallow it's hard to explain, then when I tried to pick my phone up I felt all weak

I have been awake since 4:30 am and it's now 11:30pm and I've been super stressed lately and full of anxiety so I'm guessing that isn't helping

Female healthanxiety
31-10-14, 13:33
How did you sleep? X

Fishmanpa
31-10-14, 13:49
I don't have any of these issues but I'll relate an odd one from the other night. I was just drifting off to sleep when I heard what sounded like a sonic boom that startled me out of my twilight state. My heart was pounding and I was disorientated for a few moments. I laid there listening and all I heard was my wife and the cat snoring next to me so obviously it was something in my mind/dreams that did that. The difference for me is I didn't in the least feel it was anything serious, only "that was weird..."... I was out a couple of minutes after that.

For whatever reason our minds conjure up things that not even the experts really understand. What they do understand is what the anxious mind does to us physically. Many of the things described in this post and others are classic examples of anxiety disorder. Even when you may not feel stressed, your body may still be on high alert from a previous episode. I equate it to cooking something in the oven. You can turn off the heat but it remains hot for a while.

Positive thoughts

chickpea
31-10-14, 14:02
Fishmanpa is right, as usual. :)
Think about it - we go to sleep but our bodies carry on functioning, including our brains. We dream, we have nightmares, we wake up if we hear a noise in the house - none of which we can control.
Quite often, I wake up in the middle of the night, heart racing, breath shallow. Or I fall asleep and then my body jolts as if trying to stop myself from falling.

bingjam
31-10-14, 14:24
I didn't sleep to well ha a few hours though, I was just terrifed of falling asleep, I've got to work all night tonight too so with say about 5 hours sleep in 48 hours and not gonna beable to sleep for at least another 15 hours is making me feel worse

And I agree fish is always right! At first I had the whole that was weird thought then it turned into Jeeze that's not right to me panicking then shaking for the next hour

Cheers guys!