PDA

View Full Version : Getting seriously anxious about my operation next month :(

nikkikb
30-10-14, 14:25
Ok so I am an anxious person anyway but this is my first ever operation so I am feeling very nervous. But I have stupidly been reading about the risks of surgery and freaking myself out further. The op is minor and is a laparoscopy to possibly remove my 9cm complex cyst and check for endometriosis or adhesions from the pelvic inflammatory disease I had 5 years ago. The following things are scaring me:-

What if I don't wake up from the GA?
What if the surgeon accidentally cuts an artery or my bowel?
What if he finds cancer (there is a cyst which he doesn't think is malignant but you never know)?
What if I have a more serious issue that requires yet more surgery (he thinks there is a chance there is endometriosis which maybe severe but I have no symptoms)?
It is being done in a private hospital (covered by NHS) which I have heard has more risks (no emergency care etc)
Is being done on a Thursday in the afternoon which apparently is the worst time to have an op :shrug:

So that is what is freaking me out. I don't know how to calm myself down. I don't want to turn up on the day on the verge of a nervous breakdown. Does anyone have any good stories to share to reduce my anxiety?!

Annie0904
30-10-14, 19:45
I really don't know why Thursday would be more risky than any other days and I have had ops on Thursdays that have been fine. It is much better to have the op than not have it and then you will find out the answers to some of the other questions :) I have had GA about 8 times now with no complications. My son had a really major op with no problems but the risks I was told about really scared me. The thing is they have to tell you all the risks but they are VERY rare. You probably have more chance of getting running over crossing the street.
Having an op is an anxious time but you are in good hands and will be well looked after.

nikkikb
30-10-14, 20:50
Thanks Annie. I am terrible at focusing on the negative which drives my husband to distraction! The doctor said there is a 1 in 1000 risk of complication which in my head equates to 1 in 1000 chance of death and that seems like crap odds. I mean I get scared going on a plane and that is a 1 in a million chance of dying.

I know I need to have it done so I will brave it but I know I am going to be really scared on the day :(

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:48 ----------

Oh and I saw something about the worst time to have an operation was the end of the week as surgeons are more tired or something and between 3 and 4 the bodies circadian rhythms dip which is also not great.

Annie0904
30-10-14, 20:56
Don't believe everything you hear. Surgeons work all weekend sometimes but they do get days off and time to sleep :) I still get a bit anxious before an op, most people do, it is a natural anxiety :) The op you are having sounds like a minor one and I am sure you will be fine. :)

Bigboyuk
12-08-17, 14:09
Hi nikkikb Well I had a op (and I don't suffer with HA) but heck I was worried this was about 5 years ago to have a stent fitted in one of my ateries it was either have it done or die. So was rushed in to have the op naturally I put my arm down to be put under but no they said it would be done locally so that help big time and within 10 secs my upper part of body was really cold and they started the 20 min op which was very delicate and involved thread ing a thin metal tube along my aterie I could see it on a monitor and 20 mins later all done back in the ward and was on Morphine for 5 days LOL No pain though after
the 5 days of Morphine and am now better. So will you be operated on under local or general do ask you may have the option on this? Sure there are risks with any surgery but its low well it was in my case 2% so to me that's low Good luck and try to distract your self so you don't end up worrying ;) Cheers

Capercrohnj
12-08-17, 17:45
There will be an anesthesiologist with you the whole time who's job is exclusively monitoring your stats so you will be fine.

I had major major open surgery - total proctocolectomy with end ileostomy (removsl of colon, rectum and anus and an ostomy put in) on a friday morning 6.5 hours long and I lived

ocdbaking
12-08-17, 17:50
I had major back surgery 3 years ago, and while I don't suffer from HA, I do have OCD so my anxiety went crazy in the build up to the operation. I can assure you that things will be fine. But in response to your questions:

What if I don't wake up from the GA?
You will. The doctors in charge of GA are hugely skilled. I was worried about this, but was fine. It literally feels like you've blinked, and it's done!

What if the surgeon accidentally cuts an artery or my bowel?
*If* that happens, which it won't - they're a surgeon! They have training to deal with this. They would stop the bleeding, and you'd be fine.

What if he finds cancer (there is a cyst which he doesn't think is malignant but you never know)?
Unlikely, especially as he's not worried.

What if I have a more serious issue that requires yet more surgery (he thinks there is a chance there is endometriosis which maybe severe but I have no symptoms)?
Then you'll remember that this experience was ok, and it won't be as frightening the next time.

It is being done in a private hospital (covered by NHS) which I have heard has more risks (no emergency care etc)
My back surgery was private, and I developed an infection about a week later. I was re-admitted straightaway (and it was a bank holiday!), and it was dealt with.

It will be fine. But to be anxious is normal.

Fishmanpa
12-08-17, 19:03
Boy! That's a lot of "What Ifs"!

Having been under the knife more times than I'd like, AND... some really big time operations (triple bypass, triple stents, neck dissection and others), I'm still here to tell the tale :)

My wife had laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst on her thymus gland back in December. She's still here to tell the tale too :)

I get it. It's only natural to have a bit of nerves when undergoing a procedure but your anxiety is making it WAY worse than it is.

I wish there were magic words or a technique to share but having been on these boards for a while, I know regardless of what's said, it comes down to you taking action.

For me, thinking of just getting it over with and moving on really helped. For me, being sick is a PITA! I have things to do! My music and work, spending quality time with my wife and enjoying the things in life that bring me joy. I don't have time to dwell on all the negative crap life throws at me. Essentially that's my attitude anyway. I tell the negativity to piss off and work on thinking positive thoughts (thus the thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=173453)). That's what really helped me get through it.

And btw... I have a "Told ya so" just waiting for ya ;)

Positive thoughts

Bigboyuk
13-08-17, 14:50
Boy! That's a lot of "What Ifs"!

Having been under the knife more times than I'd like, AND... some really big time operations (triple bypass, triple stents, neck dissection and others), I'm still here to tell the tale :)

My wife had laparoscopic surgery to remove a cyst on her thymus gland back in December. She's still here to tell the tale too :)

I get it. It's only natural to have a bit of nerves when undergoing a procedure but your anxiety is making it WAY worse than it is.

I wish there were magic words or a technique to share but having been on these boards for a while, I know regardless of what's said, it comes down to you taking action.

For me, thinking of just getting it over with and moving on really helped. For me, being sick is a PITA! I have things to do! My music and work, spending quality time with my wife and enjoying the things in life that bring me joy. I don't have time to dwell on all the negative crap life throws at me. Essentially that's my attitude anyway. I tell the negativity to piss off and work on thinking positive thoughts (thus the thread (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=173453)). That's what really helped me get through it.

And btw... I have a "Told ya so" just waiting for ya ;)

Positive thoughts And that's a lot of operations Fish to have gone through did it get any easier each time you had a op? Never liked being put under a bit of wuss lol I prefer to have a local anashetic if possible then I can be aware of whats going on. Yes perfect normal to be a bit nervous think everyone gets that feeling too :) Very positive thoughts to you and the wife you are fighter:yesyes: Cheers