PDA

View Full Version : NO help

TomW
30-10-14, 19:56
Hi everyone this is my first message,
I have recently suffered severe anxiety and it is becoming impossible to get on with the day. I've been having a globus sensation, heart palpitations, feeling heartbeat, tight chest, body pain, panic attacks, borderline depression, bloating, breathing difficulties, stress, health anxiety and too many breakdowns to count! the main problem is I'm only 16 and already suffer from anorexia, ASD, OCD, Schitzotypal disorder and possible bipolar, but I'm able to cope with this, but because of my age No one wants to do anything to help my anxiety I have had GP's, Pediatricians and others all tell me they can't even give me therapy because they won't have me, I need medication because this is unbearable and I just need to take the edge off but yet again they won't do anything because of my age, risk of addiction and what other crap excuse they can throw my way.
Thank you for listening to my case and I would love to know what you guys think:). I just feel like a lost cause:frown:

chickpea
30-10-14, 20:11
Welcome to the forum!:hugs:

You are most certainly NOT a lost cause, so put that out of your mind straight away.
You sound like you are having to deal would th an awful lot.
Has anyone told you about CAMHS - children and adolescents mental health service? If you can't get referred by your GP, you should be able to get referred by an educational psychologist if you are still at school/college.

In the meantime, there is a lot you can do to help yourself with panic etc. Have a look at the red sticky post at the top of the panic attacks board, which is a link to the free CBT downloads for panic. It is a very good course and will help you get a grip on your panic.
Mindfulness will also help you - have a look at the Headspace website for a course of free guided mindfulness meditations.
Finally, get a copy of Self Help for Your Nerves by Claire Weekes (Amazon) - this book saved my sanity when I was suffering extreme anxiety and panic.

TomW
30-10-14, 20:22
Hi chickpea,
thanks for replying, I have already been discharged from CAMHS (which I was with for the anorexia) because I am 16, and they can't refer to adult services because they only take 18+ I have been to the GP to see if there is anything they can offer but I've been told many times I am stuck in limbo, there is nothing they can do until I reach 18. It just isn't fair really... :mad:

chickpea
30-10-14, 20:32
That sounds ridiculous and very worrying - I'm sorry to hear no such of a struggle you're having. Do you see anyone for your ASD or other problems (other than your GP)?
Is there any chance you could get some help privately - CBT or similar?

If there really is no option to get help, the best thing to do is try to help yourself. Not ideal, admittedly, but the self-help stuff I mentioned in my previous post WILL help you and may be enough to get you over the hump you've hit, until you find professional support.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Have a look at youngminds.org.uk. It seems to offer a lot of support and info for young people with mental health issues. It explains what happens in the transition from CAMHS to adult mental health etc and I think they can give you advice.

TomW
30-10-14, 20:37
thanks again, Unfortunately we've encountered the same faults with the ASD help age seems to only matter most. I don't know if there is any way of getting the medication, perhaps keep on trying with the GP or walk in clinic ? the self help has been good but now it's breaking point and most definitely getting worse with time. I just don't know what to do :shrug:

chickpea
30-10-14, 20:46
If you can, see another GP. A low dose anti anxiety medication should be fine for you, I would have thought. (Maybe not things like diazepam or sleeping pills).
If things get really bad, go to a&e. No-one should have to struggle on alone, regardless of age.

MyNameIsTerry
31-10-14, 02:46
Hi,

I think there is a fair bit of messing around going on in here from your GP and CAMHS. The issue with risk of addiction seems flawed since you would be obtaining your medication on prescription giving your GP full control. There are not many clinical studies for under 18's which introduces risk but NICE have published guidance on this subject.

You mentioned that CAMHS can't treat you because you are 16 and your GP can't refer you elsewhere because you would need to be 18. Is that correct?

If so, then you might want to point out to CAMHS that they are shown in NICE guidance as responsible for children & adolescents in treating depression as shown here http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg28/chapter/1-guidance#step-3-mild-depression at Levels 2 & 3.

I suggest you have a look at that because it explains how somebody under 18 can be treated for mild or moderate to severe depression. This explains what should be gone by your GP, CAMHS and any referrer. You will see that 3 antidepressant medications are mentioned but one is recomended due to clinical evidence. You are in the age range for this clinical evidence.

This one from NICE also only removes children with GAD under the age of 16 https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/qs53 sp all of this is relevant to you.

I suggest you have a read through this and then ask your GP why you are not entitled to what NICE have given them guidance to do.