PDA

View Full Version : How to gain weight?

cricket0148
31-10-14, 16:06
How do you gain weight? I am struggling with this due to stress and anxiety. I have recently started drinking Boost High Protein supplements and eating peanut butter sandwiches but nothing.

Fishmanpa
31-10-14, 20:03
It's not about gaining weight (fat) as much as it's gaining muscle mass. You don't want to put body fat on as it's unhealthy for you.

Weight training along with a diet rich in proteins and low glycemic carbs will put weight on faster and easier than just eating. I mean, you have to eat (4-6 small balanced meals a day) but the weight training is what will add the mass and don't worry, women do not "bulk up" like men do. Depending on your size, you're looking at consuming at least 2000 + or - calories a day but again, protein rich foods, low glycemic carbs. You may want to look into a whey protein/mass builder powder from a fitness supplement supplier as opposed to Boost as Boost is $$$ and has a lot of sugars. I have a protein/fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast. It's good for me and packs in a ton of protein, vitamins and minerals.

I was a certified personal trainer many years ago and what I'm saying is the gospel. I had women clients that would freak when they gained weight but it was tempered by the fact they lost inches and their clothes fit better ;)

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-14, 04:29
Why are you trying to gain weight? Are you underweight and trying to get yourself into a healthier range as opposed to wanting to bulk up? If just gaining weight, then increasing you calories is key but protein alone, whilst healthy, is less likely to add this weight unless you are training to add mass. So, look for a weight gainer that has a good volume of protein but a higher ratio of carbs.

Can your GP refer you to a dietician? Do you have an eating disorder as well, hence needing expert advice from such as a dietician?

If bulking then its going to be about increased calories and certain minimums of protein based on bodyweight (there are various calculations for this, many of which contrafict each other). It would be wise to join a forum dedicated to this kind of thing as well so you can get loads of people offering advice as on here, other than FMP being qualified, there may not be many people who are into that stuff.

FMP, you might be interested to read some studies that show less meals that are heavier can have the same impact as the old 4-6 meals a day routine that was always the staple. The thing about the fitness industry is that there are so many contradictory studies it can be confusing so I guess its a matter of finding what fits, whether the old ways or the new ones. Personally, I would love to see people training when they are bloated from heavy meals though!!!

Fishmanpa
01-11-14, 15:09
FMP, you might be interested to read some studies that show less meals that are heavier can have the same impact as the old 4-6 meals a day routine that was always the staple. The thing about the fitness industry is that there are so many contradictory studies it can be confusing so I guess its a matter of finding what fits, whether the old ways or the new ones. Personally, I would love to see people training when they are bloated from heavy meals though!!!

Dat da Truth! When I was training, I did the 4-6 small meals a day. This way it was like keeping the battery charging all the time as opposed to letting it run low (blood sugars) and then dosing out (heavy meal) and crashing from the glycemic overdose. And you're right, all I ever want to do after stuffing myself silly is sleep! ~lol~ When I was recovering from treatment, that's how I was able to put weight back on (4-6 small meals a day). I had more energy too.

Positive thoughts