PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else feel this way when they're hungry?

anxious_thoughts
31-10-14, 16:18
Hello everyone,

A couple months ago I started getting this new feeling every time I'm hungry and can't get to food quick enough. When I'm hungry (close to being hungry without my stomach growling) I feel sort of faint, and just overall weird. Like I'm going to pass out or something. The thing is, this doesn't happen every time, I feel like it's anxiety related because it's probably something that happens when I think about it. Anyways, I also worry because I'm scared its like a drop in blood pressure or sugar and that it could be a symptom of diabetes.

bingjam
31-10-14, 16:31
Yes, here I have this!

It's also a reason I've stopped drinking coffee cause it made the feeling worse

chickpea
31-10-14, 16:35
I used to get this - I'd start to feel shakey, hot and weird.
It's very common and absolutely nothing to worry about - it's just your blood sugar dropping too low. Eat something like chocolate or a sweet for an instant sugar boost and then get some proper food.

bingjam
31-10-14, 16:40
Yes chickpea I forgot to add the shakes and the hotness to the list too

I agree though grabbing something sugary gives that instant sugar boost and make you feel almost instantly better. I find yoghurt is realllly good for this

CleverLittleViper
31-10-14, 16:46
Yep, I just make sure I have something sugary and then I'm fine.

Ange1
31-10-14, 22:32
Yes same here. It's blood sugar for sure. I used to carry dextrose lozenges or fruit pastilles in my bag for a quick sugar boost when I could feel it coming on. I also avoid coffee unless with a meal as it seems lower my blood sugar and bring it on. X

MyNameIsTerry
01-11-14, 04:18
Had this loads, its common without anxiety but something to consider is that you are working your body harder by being anxious more than you would normally be. So, perhaps that makes it more likely to occur?

Keeping your blood sugar stable will reduce this. So, look at your diet and foods that provide longer bursts of energy if you don't have any other health conditions that prohibit this kind of dietary change.

Drink plenty of water as well. I tend to get these feelings as well when I'm a bit dehydrated and having a bottle of water tends to resolve it.

anxious_thoughts
27-11-14, 20:49
Thanks everyone! It's weird, I don't get it every single time, but maybe once or twice a week.

Glad to see I'm not alone, but of course not glad that we have to go through this scary sensation :unsure:

anthrokid
28-11-14, 21:49
I feel like I'm dying when I'm hungry. Okay, maybe that a little bit of an exaggeration, but I definitely feel it when I'm hungry. I feel sick and dizzy and grumpy, haha.

HKSharon
29-11-14, 12:28
Yup... always carry healthy snacks with you ... if I'm hungry I get major dizziness ..