PDA

View Full Version : I have literally no desire to eat

sunmoonstars
31-10-14, 20:53
For the past 7-8 days I have completely lost my appetite. As in I want absolutely nothing and even my favorite foods don't sound or look appetizing. The last time I can remember feeling somewhat excited to eat something was last Saturday afternoon (10/25). I have been feeling anxious/not myself since 10/19 when I got a really bad headache (I'm thinking it was a migraine). I was sick with that horrible headache and nausea from Sunday-Tuesday. Tuesday night the headache kind of let up and I felt better. Then Wednesday and almost every day since then I've had a headache. Sometimes they're bad, sometimes not. Sometimes they go away for a period of time but they always come back. So last Saturday I got up and ate breakfast and lunch, I was fine. Sometime Saturday night I started feeling sick to my stomach again and got a bad headache. I guess its worth mentioning that I also started feeling anxious that afternoon when I was out with my mom. I came home and ate dinner but I really wasn't interested in eating it. I was so worried about the headache coming back because I read online that if you have a migraine for longer than 72 hours you are at risk for stroke. Since I thought the headache was sinus related I took a small dose of Mucinex (10 mL and the dose for an adult is 20 mL). I woke up sweating, nauseous with diarrhea (yuck, sorry!). So of course I google and I find Acetaminophen (paracetamol in the UK I believe) poisoning which matches my symptoms. So I freak out all day Sunday, have no appetite at all. Monday I got up and tried to go to work but couldn't even eat a piece of toast because I was so upset about the Mucinex. Just to be clear, I took a dose of about 325 mg and the maximum for 24 hours is 4,000 mg, so nowhere near toxic levels. But I took it on an empty stomach so I thought maybe there was a chance I could have overdosed. I went to a walk in clinic on Monday and the doctor gave me a nasal spray (which I still haven't used) and a prescription for headache meds which I never picked up. I mentioned the stomach issues and lack of appetite and he didn't have much to say about it except it was probably anxiety related. So I'm over the acetaminophen poisoning, I spoke to another dr and he said no, I absolutely did not overdose.

So here I am still with headaches and I have zero appetite. Honestly, I'm getting really scared because I have NEVER felt like this before. Ever. I feel like I'm never going to go back to normal. I'm scared I'm depressed. My only hope is that maybe it's PMS causing this and that when I get my period on Sunday I will also get my appetite back. This is just such an odd and awful feeling. My parents think it's all in my head. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Btw, I am not on any anti-depressants. I know those can sometimes cause loss of appetite.

jonjones
31-10-14, 21:47
Hi,

I sympathise with how you feel, I remember when my nerves were so bad and my stomach chunred so bad that I could barey think about eating. Even putting food in my mouth made me wanna get sick.

I was fighting against how I felt and this was making me more anxious. Let the anxiety happen, let the nausea and sweating happen, they are happening because your nervous system is oversensitised that you toughts are causing it to overreact and bring on these symptoms.

Focus on staying in the moment taking deep breaths and try to be easy on yourself. Dont force yourself to be a certain way, just focus on letting go!

Best,

Jon

sunmoonstars
01-11-14, 00:11
Jon,
Thank you for the advice. I will try to follow it but it's so hard!!

Aaron,
That's what I'm afraid of, that I will never go back to normal. Do you know what caused it for you and how did it feel when it finally came back?

julia22
01-11-14, 00:31
I was worried I had cancer due to googling unintentional weight loss (ive lost a hell of alot of weight. doctor did tumor marker tests which came back normal and a CBC which also came back normal. I have had absolutely no appetite for 3 months Shes put on and ive been on it for 3 nights now. And ive noticed my appetite slowly coming back. Its funny how anxiet y and stress can do these things to you.

sunmoonstars
01-11-14, 17:50
I was worried I had cancer due to googling unintentional weight loss (ive lost a hell of alot of weight. doctor did tumor marker tests which came back normal and a CBC which also came back normal. I have had absolutely no appetite for 3 months Shes put on and ive been on it for 3 nights now. And ive noticed my appetite slowly coming back. Its funny how anxiet y and stress can do these things to you.

I'm worried about ovarian cancer because I get ovarian cysts constantly, have to urinate a lot more than I used to and now this complete loss of appetite. I know I'm under stress but I've NEVER lost my appetite for this long. This is a very foreign feeling to me. I've had several ultrasounds for the cysts and my dr doesn't seem concerned at all.

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night hyperventilating and I had stomach pain and felt nauseous. Now I'm up and I have cramp like pains in my stomach. Still no appetite. I'm wondering if I have another cyst, but I never had loss of appetite with them in the past. I called the after hours number for my dr and I'm waiting for a call back.

eeesh
01-11-14, 19:10
For the past 7-8 days I have completely lost my appetite. As in I want absolutely nothing and even my favorite foods don't sound or look appetizing. The last time I can remember feeling somewhat excited to eat something was last Saturday afternoon (10/25). I have been feeling anxious/not myself since 10/19 when I got a really bad headache (I'm thinking it was a migraine). I was sick with that horrible headache and nausea from Sunday-Tuesday. Tuesday night the headache kind of let up and I felt better. Then Wednesday and almost every day since then I've had a headache. Sometimes they're bad, sometimes not. Sometimes they go away for a period of time but they always come back. So last Saturday I got up and ate breakfast and lunch, I was fine. Sometime Saturday night I started feeling sick to my stomach again and got a bad headache. I guess its worth mentioning that I also started feeling anxious that afternoon when I was out with my mom. I came home and ate dinner but I really wasn't interested in eating it. I was so worried about the headache coming back because I read online that if you have a migraine for longer than 72 hours you are at risk for stroke. Since I thought the headache was sinus related I took a small dose of Mucinex (10 mL and the dose for an adult is 20 mL). I woke up sweating, nauseous with diarrhea (yuck, sorry!). So of course I google and I find Acetaminophen (paracetamol in the UK I believe) poisoning which matches my symptoms. So I freak out all day Sunday, have no appetite at all. Monday I got up and tried to go to work but couldn't even eat a piece of toast because I was so upset about the Mucinex. Just to be clear, I took a dose of about 325 mg and the maximum for 24 hours is 4,000 mg, so nowhere near toxic levels. But I took it on an empty stomach so I thought maybe there was a chance I could have overdosed. I went to a walk in clinic on Monday and the doctor gave me a nasal spray (which I still haven't used) and a prescription for headache meds which I never picked up. I mentioned the stomach issues and lack of appetite and he didn't have much to say about it except it was probably anxiety related. So I'm over the acetaminophen poisoning, I spoke to another dr and he said no, I absolutely did not overdose.

So here I am still with headaches and I have zero appetite. Honestly, I'm getting really scared because I have NEVER felt like this before. Ever. I feel like I'm never going to go back to normal. I'm scared I'm depressed. My only hope is that maybe it's PMS causing this and that when I get my period on Sunday I will also get my appetite back. This is just such an odd and awful feeling. My parents think it's all in my head. Has anyone ever experienced this before? Btw, I am not on any anti-depressants. I know those can sometimes cause loss of appetite.

Blend 5-6 very ripe bananas with a load of spinach and drink it throughout the day.

700 or so calories and it is effortless.

With the acetaminophen, the LD50 (lethal dose) is something like 10g taken all at once. The antedote to this is N-AcetylCysteine, and if taken up to 48 hours after ingestion will enable your liver to handle the load. So yeah, you were nowhere near overdosing to any signifcant degree :winks:. Hospitals are equipped for this as it is one of the most common ways teenagers try to commit suicide. Would be a terrible way to go, 7 days of agony as your organs fail.

Anyway...

sunmoonstars
02-11-14, 14:40
Thank you the advice eeesh. I went to another walk in clinic last night and they told me I have ketones in my urine, which means my body is pretty much going into starvation mode. I'm trying to eat but everything makes me nauseous. I called my GI dr's after hours line and am waiting for the on call physician to call me back. I just want this to stop :(