PDA

View Full Version : Giving up Caffeine and Alcohol?

dj9928
02-01-07, 19:29
Does in make much difference to anxiety giving up caffeine and alcohol?? That was my new years resolution as I herd somewhere it helps anxiety, but to be honest I love my tins of coke and my beer, so I don't want to be depriving myself if it doesn't make much difference.

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

nomorepanic
02-01-07, 19:47
Caffeine - yes definitely bad for panic and anxiety

Alcohol - ok in moderation.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

clickaway
02-01-07, 19:50
I have been having decaffeinated tea and coffee for a couple of years now, and I'm sure it must be helping.

I am not a big drinker, and seldom drink Coke anyway, but why not try and cut down on your caffeine consumption.

We need our feel-good treats and I think we have to strike a balance between our diet and an enjoyable life[8D]

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Nel
02-01-07, 19:54
I don't drink anything with caffeine and I don't drink alchohol at all - and I'm still anxious, lol!

Nel xxx

Lauradee
02-01-07, 20:38
Dont have much caffeine but i do no alcohol makes me worse. With the xmas period and New Year I drank way too much and i believe thats why im a having a bad episode today! This time of year is always bad for me anyway but alcohol is not the answer! Moderation is the key!

lauradee

groovygranny
02-01-07, 20:38
I'm a firm believer in 'a little of what you fancy does you good' ! With the emphasis on 'little' of course!!

Some people can cope well with no caffeine or alcohol, but personally speaking I find that when I deny myself completely of something the craving I have for it heightens my anxiety and then I feel guilty for craving it etc etc !!

Do whatever works for you either way:)!

lotsa luv

GG [:P]

xx

'There are no such things as strangers; just friends we haven't made yet!'

happyone
02-01-07, 20:52
Hi
I know alcohol is really bad for my anxiety, so I usually stay off it apart from one beer or glass of wine.
I don't drink Coke or coffee, but I really don't think I could start the day without two cups of tea! I know I should but I have so little else just now.:D
Happyone
x

"Today is the day before tomorrow. Tomorrow is another day." wisdom of my daughter!

tree
02-01-07, 21:34
I agree with lauradee
Alcohol can make anxiety worse. I also had too many new years eve and now suffering. My resolution is to give up the beer because that will help.
chris

heavymind
03-01-07, 10:10
When I was at the peak of anxiety and panic troubles, STOPPING COFFEE, just made the Symptoms GO AWAY. But now after regular exercise routine, my anxiety is NEAR ZERO and I get anxious only when life comes up with something new.

These day I do take TWO CUPS of strong coffee, but that is not hurting me anymore. However, from next week I am planning to stop coffee again, since next month I have some important events in life coming up and I want to be anxiety free for that.

asdf

Chopper
10-01-07, 11:06
Mornin' all,

I've been off caffiene for ages now (no coffee, tea, cola etc.) and feel better for it ........ but I still like my wine!;)

I read yesterday that taking your tea without milk is better for you than having it 'white', doesn't lessen the caffeine but is supposed to be better for you?

Happiness and light to all,
'Chopper'

I saw her once, one little while, and then no more:
’Twas Eden’s light on Earth a while, and then no more.
Amid the throng she passed along the meadow-floor:
Spring seemed to smile on Earth awhile, and then no more;
But whence she came, which way she went, what garb she wore
I noted not; I gazed a while, and then no more!

James Clarence Mangan 1803 - 1849

bb01234
10-01-07, 12:53
from research I've done and speaking to a medicial chemist to clarify this, alchol is in effect the exact opposite to the chemical you need in your brian.

Omega 3 (pls see my earlier post) acts to damp and smooth the messages in our brains, unlike the various SSRI's etc that drs offer (which are sold since they can be patentable and make a drug company a profit - natural remedies can't, nor can they be protected)

SSRI's work as a blanket switch off receptor/trigger so you get a much bigger effect - not really useful in more than short-term scenarios.

Alcohol as we all know acts to loosen and release out inhibitions, but if we have any anxiety symptoms from any underlying cause then ... boom.

consider it this way

a) drinking alcohol with anxiety is like running over ice in flat soled shoes, whooops

b) not drinkning alchol but having the symptoms of anxziety etc is like walking over ice, same shoes, chance of falling reduced but when it happens, and it does ... big ouch!

c) having a good level of omega 3, plus releasing the symptoms of anxiety is like walking across with spiked boots - you shouldn't fall, but if you do you can get up by your own endeavours

does that help

brian

jos
10-01-07, 15:40
I used to drink daily socially but after a breakdown with Anxiety and depression 2 years ago alcohol really messes me up - no longer on meds and can sometimes get away with a couple of glasses but also sometimes pay in a big way - I used to use alcohol as a mood changer and it always worked well - now it wrecks a good mood and makes a bad one worse - so i now only drink occaisionally with a special meal or occaision if i feel up to it

a bit sad but its a bit of a choice between stable and enjoy green tea or a mess after a few drinks - usually not a difficult choice - i have a hell of a tea collection now and you would be surprised at the number of people who join me - If challenged why i'm not drinking at a party i now say i don't touch the stuff - strictly class A's for me (not true but it usually shuts them up)

also because i always buy a round and have plenty of drinks at home for visitors most people don't really notice i'm not drinking - especially when they have had a few

as for coffee - i love the stuff but only after food when i'm feeling steady for a special occaision - i think we have to reaslise that us sensitive types can be really knocked off balance as caffiene and alcohol can act as strong psychotropic drugs.

cheers jos

bb01234
10-01-07, 17:26
jos, yup alcohol is sold and advertised as good but chemically it's crap (I believe that's the technical word for it). All it does is bad to the brain.

Have a think about the general foods you eat, perhaps too much processed or frozen etc.

For someone thats been though a breakdown and shed most of the issues of anxiety our western diet comes up very short in the goodness stakes.

brian

dj9928
11-01-07, 18:53
Well i'm off caffeine for over a week now and have to say the only thing i've noticed is the heart doesn't bounce around anymore etc, but other than that I still feel panicky etc.

A happy person is fully caught up in the moment --and is not thinking about the past or the future.

Rennie1989
11-01-07, 20:58
Caffine, in my opinion, is the chemical to blame for starting panic attacks. It makes your heart beat faster and can cause disturbing symptoms such as shaking and chest pains.

Alcohol is ok. I like a glass of wine here and there, it just makes me happier and makes me forget about bad stuff (and important stuff ... woops).

"My teddy last night was a paper bag, to keep my safe."