PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...MS, and worries.

CleverLittleViper
01-11-14, 16:19
I keep telling myself not to seek reassurance, and here I am, doing the very thing I told myself I would not do again.

There's a few things I just want to clarify-can MS produce symmetrical symptoms in both sides i.e. both hands? My GP said it is highly unlikely to present like that, but I just want clarification (re: reassurance).

Second, if anyone's experienced perceived numbness in their hands, and when it went away, does the symptom just go or fade off gradually? My hands feel reasonably better but they still feel unusual, not as numb as before. It could be that I've spent over a month with constant numbness in my hands that I'm just not used to the feeling of them being normal. http://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/kooky.gif

Thirdly, I get a lot of tingling in my feet, but only when I sit down. It goes away as soon as I start to move around, anyone else get that? It could be a pinched nerve or just a simple variation on my anxiety, I guess.

Fourthly, has anyone else had the sensation as if someone is pressing their thumb and kneading into their skin? I get this on my feet, hands and legs (more so on the backs of my hands) and it's rather strange.

Lastly, I long ago diagnosed myself with Cholinergic Urticaria because I began to notice that I would get these pin prick sensations around the back of my neck when I would be outside in a warm coat, or move from a cold place to a warmer place. It would last no more than a minute, and I wouldn't get any rash or anything. I assumed it was to do with hives or some form of heat rash. Now, someone has mentioned that they have the same thing and they suspect theirs is related to MS http://www.anxietyzone.com/Smileys/default/kooky.gif It began to happen a couple of years ago, and while unpleasant, it never particularly troubled me. I assumed it was "normal." I also get red blotches on my arms after a hot bath or shower, and maybe the two are related. But now someone has made me think its MS and maybe I was showing signs way back when.

I've never mentioned it to a doctor, and I'm fairly sure mine will be rolling her eyes if I did mention it to her.

I feel entirely insane. Mentally, I'm kind of better. At least I'm not crying all the time anymore, and I feel brighter in myself. But some of the lingering physical symptoms still have me quite worried. Even though 3 doctors have either ruled MS unlikely, or ruled it out completely, I still can't seem to let it go, even though I tell myself to.

Fishmanpa
01-11-14, 16:24
CLV,

The thing is, nothing thus far in the form of reassurance has helped. This thread is proof of that :( What else can anyone say that they haven't said before? Many have offered some compelling advice and evidence that backs up what the medical professionals have said.

How do you let it go when your mind won't allow it? Treat the source... your mind. There are proven methods in the form of therapy, CBT, meds or a combination thereof that are effective in giving you the tools to fight the dragon that continues to breath fire down your neck.

In the opinion of your doctors and everyone here, you don't have MS. Now it's up to you to believe it ;)

Positive thoughts

chickpea
01-11-14, 16:33
Fishmanpa speaks wise words.

Here's my take.
I'd had tingling and pins and needles in my right arm for about a month. At times, my arm feels dead (as in, I can feel if I pinch it, but it feels heavy, lifeless, weak). The problem is actually in my neck and shoulder - some kind of nerve issue.
I spoke to a physio friend, who made various recommendations (exercise, a memory foam pillow to help my neck posture, heat pads etc). Crucially, she also said, "This didn't happen overnight, so expect it to take a while to improve."

If your issue is a nerve one, it will take a while to get better.
If it's anxiety, it will take as long as you are still anxious to get better.
While you still believe it is MS, it will NEVER get better.

Serenity1990
01-11-14, 16:34
Reassurance is your drug. Time to go cold turkey. ;)

CleverLittleViper
01-11-14, 21:06
Thank you all. :flowers:

I know I have to stop. I promised myself yesterday that during the weekend, I wouldn't seek reassurance once. But, I failed.

I am going to purchase my first ever CBT journal, I'm not sure how good it is, but I'm going to give it a shot. I also have social anxiety so the thought of doing therapy is not a positive one. :lac: I'm a barrel of issues-I have SAD, HA with a tinge of OCD (Ok, a handful) and social anxiety.

I'm not currently on any medication, aside from the amitriptyline that I sometimes take for sleep. I went off it because my GP said I could if I felt I could manage to sleep without them, and I managed. Now, I've been told I should have stuck with them because they're good at scraping off the base anxiety after a prolonged use. But a possible side effect of them is hepatitis, so :lac:

I also took Propranolol for a little while. I didn't feel much benefit from them because they really only slow your heart rate down, and that was rarely an issue for me. So, I stopped with them, but I'm to keep them and take them if I feel a panic attack coming on.. The only real panic attack I've had was in a shopping centre and I didn't have them on me. :scared15:

I'm not due to see my GP for another 4 and a bit weeks. I was doing OK. Or so I told her. :whistles: I don't want to be a burden on anyone or take up people's appointments when others are more worthy/needy than I. I should have really pushed the issue for a long-term medication plan-with SSRIs, or something.

She said once that she didn't want to go that route with me just yet. She said there were a few options she'd thought of trying with me, but they are addictive and people become both dependent and tolerant of them very quickly so she'd rather wait it out and see how I did with time.

Maybe I should put an earlier appointment on, or maybe I should get my third (re: fourth) opinion but then, when will it stop? If I keep seeking different doctors out, and asking for confirmation of what 2 have already told me, I don't think it would help me put it to bed. I need to be the one to do that, and put my trust in them.

If I do put on an earlier appointment (I have some ladies things to get checked out too) should I press for a treatment plan? I am meant to be doing therapy real soon-not looking forward to that-but maybe I should go some meds in the mean-time, while I wait for it, and wait for it to work?

I am driving myself up the wall with my MS worries. Its odd. I can reassure other people who have near identical symptoms I do that theirs is anxiety, but not myself. I suppose HA sufferers always think we're the one that will have it!

Just a quick question, is Chronic Daily Headaches normal for anxiety? I know, I'm still hunting that reassurance, but I just want to know. I was told they'd go away once I slept properly, but they haven't. :shrug:

Serenity1990
01-11-14, 21:57
Believe me if you had posted something even vaguely unfamiliar to us current and ex anxiety sufferers someone would have encouraged you to get it checked.

CleverLittleViper
01-11-14, 22:21
Thank you.

I know I just need to accept the diagnosis, and work on my anxiety. Until then, I have to accept the sensations for what they are. I have to remind myself if it were MS, it would have disturbed my ability to function, even in just a small way.

I know logically that if my GP even remotely suspected something else was the cause she would have referred me. Or the second GP when he did my physical work-up, he would have found something amiss if MS was present.

I just need to force myself into therapy, regardless of how scared of it I feel.

chickpea
01-11-14, 22:30
Meds can be great, but they are not a cure-all and you need to be prepared that they might make you feel worse before you feel better. They are also a sticking plaster, if used without therapy - at some point, you will come off them and your old thought processes will still be lurking, ready to reappear when you least expect it.
You CAN beat this. It takes commitment and patience and letting go of control but you can do it. Start with baby steps - an hour without thinking about your symptoms, 2 hours without seeking reassurance. Fill that time with something positive - a walk, reading, learning about mindfulness, baking a cake...anything that gets you out of your current routine. Just start - it can't be worse than where you are now.

I recommend Mark William's book on mindfulness - he explains really well why we spend too much time in "doing" mode and not enough in "being". You are trying to fix a "being" problem by "doing", which will only ever make things worse.