PDA

View Full Version : Random memories of past dreams and fear of epilepsy

flatterycat
02-11-14, 16:23
Hi

Posted something similar before and thought I had gotten past it all. However I am struggling again and don't know which way to turn or what to think.

Basically I keep having small flashbacks to dreams I have had in the past. I have always remembered my dreams, but this is different. I can be doing something completely unrelated and then I get this sudden flash memory from a dream. I have had it now several time over the last week. Prior to this I have had problems with fleeting memories that I can't grasp. Both of these coincide with a feeling of panic.

As before, I googled and literally everything I read about these random recollections points to temporal lobe epilepsy and simple partial seizures where you remain completely aware. The thought of having epilepsy was bad enough, but then I found that brain tumours can cause these seizures. Now I am beside myself thinking the worst. I have had the vague memory recollection problems for many years, but not these dream flashbacks.

I am becoming more and more distressed. Convinced it's a brain tumour and have now made myself feel terrified.

Can anyone relate to any of the above? I even found an old post on here where a member was having random memories and déjà vu and was subsequently diagnosed with epilepsy.

I did visit GP when I last experienced the memory dream thing. He said he thought it might be an aura to a migraine which followed a particularly bad memory/fear experience. I have suffered migraine without pain for many many years, but they never began like that.

Anyway, from all my waffle, the fear is because of these dream flashbacks I'm having. Completely random, snippets that scare me.

Thanks for reading.

Sarah

flatterycat
03-11-14, 07:16
Can anyone relate al all?

flatterycat
03-11-14, 12:44
I don't mean to go on - but is there nobody who can relate? I am struggling to cope at all. Everything on google says partial seizures. I can't even imagine that it can be anything else now.

MrAndy
03-11-14, 12:59
google will tell you lots of things,its if you want to believe them or not that makes the difference.Its highly unlikely you are having seizures ,it just sounds like anxiety and depersonalization to me.If you really think you are having seizures go see your gp

flatterycat
03-11-14, 18:00
Hi MrAndy

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I saw my doc today and he was not concerned. I told him what my fears were, he listened then said that he didn't think it sounded like seizures. The HA and results of my incessant googling have become so entrenched now though that I'm finding hard to see what else it could be.

Thanks again

Sarah

flatterycat
04-11-14, 08:57
I know it's likely to be part of the anxxiety, but the fact that only one person can relate to this is causing me a lot of distress. I know it sounds ridiculous to keep on - but can no one relate at all?

Primula
04-11-14, 09:14
Yes flattery, I have these sort of flashbacks, especially the fleeting memory that I can't grasp. I'm sure it's to do with panic, I don't worry about it as it's gone on for so long it can't be anything serious.

flatterycat
04-11-14, 10:49
Primula. thank yo so much. Just hearing I'm not alone is a help. X

Catherine S
04-11-14, 12:27
Yes me too. Its really hard to explain it to people though isn't it? Like you I remember my dreams and they can just pop into my head at any time, together with memories of the past. Its not the same as just recalling a memory purposely, the images and feelings are suddenly just there. They don't scare me though, they give me a sort of comforting feeling. I put mine down to all the moving around I've had to do over the past 8 years because of jobs and relationships because my dreams are usually about travelling and trying to get somewhere but never quite getting there before I wake up. The flashes from the past I put down to perhaps a longing to go back to happier times.

ISB x

Fishmanpa
04-11-14, 13:00
Everyone gets flashback memories of one type or another. The question is, do they cause you panic and will they cause or be due to an epileptic seizure right?

The panic? personally never ever. They're just a synapse firing in the brain. It could be a real thing from childhood or a random scene from a dream. But why would that make you panic? Perhaps it triggers a traumatic event in your life? Or perhaps it's due to a fear. What I'm saying is, there's a deeper reason behind the reaction to this totally normal human function. Like I always say, therapy to get to the root of the real illness (anxiety) is the way to resolve the physical and mental symptoms associated with it.

People with epilepsy can have their memory affected due to prolonged seizures. Your doctor is not concerned, you don't have a brain tumor, you're not having seizures nor do you have epilepsy and your memory is not affected so......

Positive thoughts

flatterycat
04-11-14, 13:38
Thank you guys so much for taking the time to reply. I have been under aot of stress recently. Took on a headship role in Sept and then OFSTED came and I am trying to teach at the same time. I have been struggling to fit everything in and working very long hours to cope.

Thanks again

Doplos
15-02-15, 07:47
This might be a bit of a late reply, but I've been having the same happen to me for the past few months I think, couldve been weeks but my time perception is horrible. I'll have a random flashback of a dream I wouldn't have otherwise remembered, sometimes its just a single image but I remember exactly what the dream was and heaps of details about it. But afterwards I tend to spend a great deal of time thinking about if I actually had that dream or if I'm just making it up, this probably isn't making sense. I also have random memories from the past pop into my head, sometimes it can be triggered by something someone says which somehow links up with something in my head, I have no clue, but it can also be triggered by smells or sounds or things I see that remind me of previous things I've smelt, heard or seen etc. Majority of the time they just randomly appear though, very strange, I've tried asking my family about it but they all just think I'm crazy hahah. :whistles:

DavidJ85
28-09-18, 09:05
Yes me too. Its really hard to explain it to people though isn't it? Like you I remember my dreams and they can just pop into my head at any time, together with memories of the past. Its not the same as just recalling a memory purposely, the images and feelings are suddenly just there. They don't scare me though, they give me a sort of comforting feeling. I put mine down to all the moving around I've had to do over the past 8 years because of jobs and relationships because my dreams are usually about travelling and trying to get somewhere but never quite getting there before I wake up. The flashes from the past I put down to perhaps a longing to go back to happier times.

ISB x

Sorry to drag up an old post but wondering if you still get these Catherine and if it was anything to do with your anxiety as I'm getting exactly the same and it freaks me out and nearly sets off an anxiety attack every time!

Carnation
28-09-18, 10:45
Hi flattery cat, I have had deja vu all of my life, reoccurring dreams as far back as my childhood and remember a dream in my conscious self, even if I don't remember it when I wake up.
Maybe talking it out with a therapist would help to reassure you that you are ok, but I wouldn't worry it is anything more serious, I know a lot of people who have the same thing. It might just be a case of your subconscious mind coming to the forefront.

---------- Post added at 10:45 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

Sorry, just realised this is an old thread revived, so hope my comments are helpful anyway. :doh: