PDA

View Full Version : Why does this happen all the time

I'mdave27
02-11-14, 17:23
For some reason I have a constant urge to buy books even though I have loads I haven't read yet , I just got 2 yesterday. I'm already thinking of buying 3 more which I know is a bit obsessive but I can't help it or myself it's like my mind won't think of anything else , can it be an addiction ? Its all I ever think about so it really gets me down as I can't stay on one book for more then 30 pages without thinking of buying another one , I clearly don't need anymore. How can I stop these tormenting thoughts of buying books ?

Lucinda07
02-11-14, 17:40
What would happen if you ignored the thought?Obtaining a new book does not satisfy the anxiety. Just hold out as long as you can to break the obsession. Perhaps distraction/meditation would help break the cycle.
If you really feel you have to buy something, go to a charity shop where books cost less. Could it be that the book's subject is not interesting - so you reject it?

I'mdave27
02-11-14, 17:46
The subjects are very interesting and i've tried everything to stop it !

Lucinda07
02-11-14, 17:53
Its an outlet for anxiety, but what,exactly, is driving it? Perhaps discuss this with a professional, especially since you are reducing your medication.

I'mdave27
02-11-14, 18:18
I just wish I had a real addiction such as booze or drugs

MyNameIsTerry
03-11-14, 08:30
Is it emotional spending Dave? Do you feel an urge to buy it and you feel better for it but then this fades quickly?

You don't want to go to alcohol or substance misuse Dave. I've known people from the self help groups that also attended specific groups for that and they were very clear on how hard it was to get out of that cycle. One of them said the best thing that ever happened to him was going to prison as they helped him get off the alcohol but it left a trail of destruction behind him.

I'mdave27
03-11-14, 12:23
I have been an alcoholic lol

MyNameIsTerry
04-11-14, 07:49
Sorry to hear that Dave, but I presume you've beaten it in the past which takes great strength, so you can beat this mate.