PDA

View Full Version : OK a newish/oldish worry...HIV

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 19:34
God, I told myself I wouldn't do this. I don't even know why this is a worry for me, but I guess some things just linger.

Back in 2011, I had a fear of HIV. So I got a test, and surprise, surprise, I was all clear. Since then, I haven't had another sexual partner, but I did have oral unprotected with one guy (who I'd been with previously), only the once, now of course, I'm worried I might have caught HIV from that.

What are the chances of catching HIV from unprotected oral? Should I go and get tested again? If its not one thing, it's another, and I know, I know, I have to deal with my anxiety. :doh:

eeesh
02-11-14, 19:40
God, I told myself I wouldn't do this. I don't even know why this is a worry for me, but I guess some things just linger.

Back in 2011, I had a fear of HIV. So I got a test, and surprise, surprise, I was all clear. Since then, I haven't had another sexual partner, but I did have oral unprotected with one guy (who I'd been with previously), only the once, now of course, I'm worried I might have caught HIV from that.

What are the chances of catching HIV from unprotected oral? Should I go and get tested again? If its not one thing, it's another, and I know, I know, I have to deal with my anxiety. :doh:

Pretty much zero. Honestly, the chance of catching HIV through oral is 'theoretically possible', but you'd have to be incredibly, incredibly unlucky.

Were you giving or receiving? Was your partner male or female? If you gave, did you have an open wound in your mouth? Did he/she ejaculate into your mouth? If he/she gave, did they have an open wound in their mouth that was bleeding into you? Probably not.

Have fun and go wild. O.K., not too wild.

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 19:44
I gave, and he was male. He did ejaculate in my mouth, and to my knowledge, I didn't have any open wounds in my mouth.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Forgot to mention, I recently had regulation blood work for my thyroid, thyroid function, cholesterol and vitamin b12 levels, would the lab have found HIV during those if it were present or not because they weren't specifically testing for it?

cpe1978
02-11-14, 20:07
I think you need to think about the rationality of switching between an MS and an HIV worry. Probably tells you it is time to focus on the real issue here which is clearly health anxiety. What are you doing to tackle that head on?

eeesh
02-11-14, 20:11
I gave, and he was male. He did ejaculate in my mouth, and to my knowledge, I didn't have any open wounds in my mouth.

---------- Post added at 19:44 ---------- Previous post was at 19:42 ----------

Forgot to mention, I recently had regulation blood work for my thyroid, thyroid function, cholesterol and vitamin b12 levels, would the lab have found HIV during those if it were present or not because they weren't specifically testing for it?

You will not have HIV.

If you are that concerned just get tested.

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 20:59
I'm going to get tested, I think. Just to be sure.

I mean, only 3% of all cases of it came from suspected oral sex so I know it is unlikely I have it.

I don't even know why I fear it. It would be very unlikely to have it after 1 exposure and I don't even think he had it! :doh:

I have to deal with the actual issue, I know. I don't know how. CBT? Meds? Combination?

cpe1978
02-11-14, 21:03
I wrote a thread which somehow made its way to a sticky at the top of the page, but really it is just what worked for me. Have a look at that - will save me typing all my thoughts again :)

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 21:48
I'm going to have to read it again because I really liked it and agreed with it. :yesyes:

I'm shaking my head at myself now. I'd been with the guy long before I was tested, and caught nothing from that encounter with him, so I don't know I'm so worried about this other encounter. I know I'm being stupid because transmission via oral is incredibly slim.

cpe1978
02-11-14, 22:05
You are right you are being stupid. Although so are or have most of us at one time or another. The key in my view to escaping the mental turmoil is to stop feeding it. Stop asking for reassurance and stop feeding the fear. It is hard, really hard but I do think it is the only way.

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 22:04 ----------

Also I think you may be choosing your stats somewhat selectively. It is just as easy to find well qualified clinicians and academics who question whether or not HIV has ever been transmitted through oral sex.

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 22:19
Oh, that does make me feel a lot better. I have read conflicting things-some say there's a risk of it, and others say that they doubt anyone has transmitted via the oral route.

If I had contracted it, in three years, I would have shown signs of it, right? :shrug:

I suppose I may as well get a test for peace of mind, but I know I have to start working on my anxiety-the true cause of my problems.

eeesh
02-11-14, 22:49
Oh, that does make me feel a lot better. I have read conflicting things-some say there's a risk of it, and others say that they doubt anyone has transmitted via the oral route.

If I had contracted it, in three years, I would have shown signs of it, right? :shrug:

I suppose I may as well get a test for peace of mind, but I know I have to start working on my anxiety-the true cause of my problems.

I went for an STI check about 2 months ago.

Gave them my sexual history and mentioned having given oral a few weeks prior. I asked them whether I should wait a few weeks before taking the test due to certaint things maybe not showing up.

He said there was no need as it wasn't penetrative (vaginal or anal) sex and shook his head dismissively.

I went for the test because during sex with a virtual stranger the condom broke. Everything came back clean. The chance of transmission from a one off encounter, even if it is unprotected and the person is HIV positive, is relatively small. The exception is being a receiving partner in anal sex, which increases transmission rates significantly.

Of course be vigilant with precautions though.

CleverLittleViper
02-11-14, 23:04
Thank you :flowers:

I'm coming down off my little panic. It was three years ago, and if I had contracted it, I would have known.

The fact that your doctor said what he said and was so dismissive is comforting, to say the least.

1 low to no risk encounter is nothing to worry about, is it? One thing-it will teach me to practice safe sex in future! :doh:

CleverLittleViper
03-11-14, 13:55
I've just been for a rapid test, and I'm all clear. HIV negative. :blush::yahoo:

I'm so happy. The best thing? They can't produce false negatives so if its negative, it really is negative.

I'm so happy right now.