PDA

View Full Version : Twitching and cramping for 2 months. Anxiety or something else?

Adamski1
02-11-14, 21:29
Hi all and thanks for reading.

I have just registered but have been viewing the boards for a few weeks whilst trying to get my fears under control.

So where to start.

Well I guess it all started in early April this year. I started to come down with what I thought was a virus. You know how it is, mucous in throat, dizzyness and drowsiness on waking up, foggy head etc. I didn't think much of it but in mid April I started to have twinges / slight pain in my chest, mainly on the left side. I went to my gp towards the end of April and she sent me for a chest X-ray which came back normal. I had many instances of standing in the shower and tipping my head back and feeling dizzy and a feeling of bruising in my chest (this still happens now).

At the start of May I started to develop a discomfort under my left rib, this was in addition to the chest pain and this general feeling of being off colour, just not feeling my normal self. Back to the gp I went and she prescribed some omeprazole for what she thought might be heartburn (chest pain) and possibly a chance of gastritis or a stomach ulcer. I took them for a couple of days but became quite unwell and ended up in hospital for the day and had an ultrasound on my stomach area (all was normal) and an ecg (heart was fine), I also had various blood tests but all were normal. They ordered an endoscopy and colonoscopy for the end of the month. During the rest of the month I was up and down. I was having odd things happen like being at work one day and suddenly not being able to move the thumb on my left hand, this only lasted a few seconds and hasn't happened again since. I was and still am having various joints popping, cracking and clicking. I was occasional balance problems and issues with short term memory and poor concentration. So I had both endoscopy and colonoscopy at the end of May. Both tests came back normal and even a biopsy for celiac disease came back normal.

At the start of June I came down with chickenpox of all things. This was at the end of the week that I had been to hospital for the two procedures I mentioned above. My daughter had chickenpox 2 weeks earlier so that's where it came from. The next 3-4 weeks were rough, even more so than normal. I started to develop numbness in my ring and little fingers of each hand leading up to the elbow. This would mainly happy at night, but sometimes with my elbows bent it would also. I was also starting with pressure in my head around my temples. This had me worrying even more so than I already was. I had a ct scan on my abdomen at the end of June for the other issues, this again came back normal. At the end of June my wife gave birth to our second child. In what was a very happy day I was still really struggling. Obviously I didn't tell my wife how iffy I was feeling.

July continued the same as the previous months. I was struggling with working full time, having a new born baby and entertaining my 3 year old daughter as well. All this time I was still constantly think "what's wrong with me".

In mid August I had another 3 week stint of head pressure on top of the other issues but nothing new to report otherwise.

Right at the start of September I had the start of muscle twitching in my left thigh. I had walked in to town on my lunch from my work, it's a 20 minute round trip. On getting back to my office my thigh started twitching for about 5 minutes. I didn't think much of it til that evening when my left calf started twitching. Now my left calf has twitched everyday since. I have also had twitching in every other part of my body, you name it and I've twitched there. However, after a week of twitching I started to develop cramping and pain in my legs. I've had issues with what feels like weakness and unsteadiness in my legs also. I get a lot of aching in my right shoulder and sore spots in various muscles, these don't cover the whole muscle but more like small areas of muscles. I've had occasional pains in arms, hands and fingers also. The past 2 weeks I've had really fine twitches all over my face. I also had issues one evening with struggling to talk, it was as if my jaw and tongue were tired, I could still talk but it was an effort to do so.

I now don't know where to turn or who to talk too.

I've been fighting my thoughts since early May with what will happen if I die. What would happen to my wife and children. Even if I can block these thoughts out of my head I will them get them as nightmares when I'm asleep.

When I started twitching and cramping in early September I did the stupid thing of consulting Dr. Google and of course the first few articles that appear are about ALS. This had made me panic even more.

Just for your information I'm 34 y/o male, married with 2 children.

So my main issues are:
Twitching - in my left calf and face everyday but have the occasional one in other areas also.
Cramping - in my legs only. The cramps disappear when walking.
Feeling of weakness - this in my legs when walking, most noticeable when going up and down stairs.
Recurring chest pain - this comes for a few days at a time then disappears for a couple of weeks. I'm not sure if this pain is actually coming from my shoulders.
Brain fog - I don't feel myself and haven't since April. I don't look forward to anything. My memory and concentration is poor.
Occasional prickling sensation - this is mainly on my cheeks, on my hands or arms.
Random muscle aches and pains.

Now I'm not after a diagnosis from anyone but would like to know if any of this sounds familiar and could be caused by anxiety. I'm not sure if anxiety could be responsible for all these issues although they can be responsible for some.

I would like to thank anyone for reading this long rambling post and look forward to hearing from you.

IrishLondon
02-11-14, 21:43
Hi mate

I know what you're going through - in the past week i've developed pins and needles in my feet, prickling and tingling in both legs and intense burning, like really bad muscle aches, in both quad thigh muscles. The burning pain was almost unbearable and was finding it hard to sleep with. But I took an anti-histamine to help me sleep last night, and the burning pain has gone away today.

It's made me think the burning pain was down to tense, sore muscles and the rest of the symptoms must be anxiety. And if you search for any of your symptoms on here you will see that they come up so often - so many other people have had them.

I'm still in the midst of an anxiety spiral at the moment - but know i'll get through it and so will you mate. It just takes time and a lot of distraction i think.

Take care
Ryan

cpe1978
02-11-14, 22:09
I would never have believed it when I was experiencing it, but I had all of those things and they were seemingly down to anxiety. Even now I think it is incredible, but when I started to accept it, symptoms which lasted for months gradually started to diminish and go away.

Adamski1
02-11-14, 22:13
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your reply. I have been reading through other posts on here. My problem is I think it's just me having these issues and I'm the one with something serious going on. I guess that's anxiety though.

It's just the cramping and twitching I'm struggling to find other people suffering with at the same time. Then there's the leg weakness and occasional jelly legs feeling.

For me it's hard to understand how anxiety can affect this many parts of my body for so long. Even when I think my body is relaxed I'm still having issues. I woke up a few nights ago with the twitching in my left calf. It's things like that which worry me, how can I be twitching at night???

Thanks
Adam

miss sparkle
02-11-14, 22:19
I am not directly suffering from the same symptoms as you. But i believe my anxiety started from the brain fog, dream like symptom , which after having for a few months without knowing what was happening to me, really started the downward spiral of things for me. Back in 2012 i had that, without feeling particularly anxious, it came on and lasted about 6 months. I then started to believe it was a brain tumour. When eventually it subsided...after i had something else to focus on ( non health related..marital problems) i was then convinced i had breast cancer.then liver cancer, then back to breast and now lymphoma...comical when put down in a sentence. But believe me every symptom i feel is 100% real. I feel like i am just going through the motions most fays and not really enjoying anything..as im like ' oh this will be the last holiday i have with my kids " etc etc.
I do suffer with jolts and twiches. Mainly when i am trying to sleep. I either have like a massive jolt in my chest where i feel like the wind been knocked outta me or i get the falling feeling like in my head and balance. Think it when your body so so anxious it can't relax or calm down and close off.
I know i probably havent helped at all. But just wanted to say your not alone. And most of us are genuinely suffering in mostly silence bout one thing or another x

IrishLondon
02-11-14, 22:19
Hey Adam,

Your body can definitely be tense and anxious at night. A few months ago, I was waking up short of breath and my fists were clenched so much that my nails were cutting into the palm of my hand. I couldn't believe it. And often when we think we are relaxed our bodies aren't.

I'm saying all this while i sit here feeling prickles all over my legs and numbness in my feet - and worrying all the time what it is. But it's been the same pattern with all the symptoms in the past - and they've always disappeared once i've stopped paying them attention.

It's hard i know mate, but that seems to be the only answer to all this. I'm trying to teach myself the same thing!!

Ryan

Adamski1
02-11-14, 22:28
Hi Miss Sparkle,

Yes that did help. Thank you. It's good to know that the things you feel are real to you even though it's the anxiety causing it. I just need to get my own head to believe it.

---------- Post added at 22:28 ---------- Previous post was at 22:26 ----------

Thanks Ryan.

Although you're struggling it's good to know there are other people with the concerns as myself. Makes me think I'm not going crazy after all.

IrishLondon
02-11-14, 22:38
No worries Adam. Message me if you ever need to. I helps just to chat things out sometimes and to not feel so alone in all this. Anxiety can be a lonely thing - so this forum really helps me out sometimes.

Abarth
02-11-14, 23:25
Hi Mate - congratulations on your new arrival!!! Such a shame you are having such a rough time. Have to agree with Ryan here. I have been experiencing exactly what you are going through and it's exhausting. My symptoms are near identical at the moment. These things invariably start with a virus or injury giving rise to symptoms that we then fixate on. Throw in some high domestic anxiety and/or emotion and blam, enough adrenaline for a sub 9 second hundred! At the risk of sounding like a cliche, the bottom line is that the majority of the conditions we fear offer no respite. The fact that you are up and down would give a strong indication that anxiety has a role to play here. Muscle tension and adrenaline will induce all of the symptoms you describe. Try to focus on the fact that you have had the full battery of tests and are clear. The calmer you become, the more your symptoms will likely subside. Lord knows, the birth of my son caused me to reconsider my definition of tiredness and I went into meltdown. I was tired, anxious, felt huge responsibility that I struggled to cope with. This all somatised into physical symptoms that no-one could explain - That was 12 years ago..... I still have relapses, but try to focus more on the psychological element now. I guess it will always be a part of us, but it can be managed, honestly. Lots of support here and talking is a real catharsis, just don't google. Take care and know that you are not alone with this. All the best. Ant.

Adamski1
03-11-14, 09:20
Hi Ant,

Thanks for that great post. Glad to know I'm not the only one, as that's how it feels sometime. So glad I've found this site with so many great members offering support.

I do find myself feeling better after reading these posts and others. I have moments throughout odd days where I think I'm going to be ok and it can all be explained by something quite simple and non life threatening but these are just fleeting moments during the day and then I'll get another twitch and I can feel myself starting to worry again which in turn leads me back to google researching what can be wrong with me. I know it's stupid and I feel ridiculous for doing it but its become a bad habit for the past few months.

Abarth
03-11-14, 09:50
No problem my friend. I know I have said this many times before, but ultimately time validates our own good health. The brief moments of respite are the start, which is great. Focus on those as indicators of an improving situation. As time passes, they will gradually get longer and overtake the negative. You just have to train your brain to accept this as fact and stop it clinging to the remote chance of our worst fears. You may find that if you talk to your GP they will offer up Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which can really help some people. The most important thing is to catch this as early as possible, don't let it embed. A good GP will take this very seriously and offer support and help, just don't feel worried about asking. The relief you will feel at the other end will be so worth it.
In the meantime, keep well and feel free to pm me if you want to talk.
Ant