PDA

View Full Version : Cancer survivors????

oldnews
03-11-14, 13:14
I would like to have a chat to any cancer survivors on this forum, please could you reply if you are..

Thanks in advance

nomorepanic
03-11-14, 13:30
Maybe fishmanpa would talk to you - contact him and ask

oldnews
03-11-14, 13:50
Thanks Nicola i shall have a search,

I just have a few unanswered questions, firstly i know this site can not diagnose or give medical advise, and secondly i will be the first to admit that i suffer HA and i am currently receiving treatment for it.

My question is if you have some form of cancer would a blood tests show something suspicious? i.e slightly raised or lowered cells.

my problem started 12 weeks ago after the birth of my daughter, i had a terrible labour and long story short i developed severe health anxiety due to stomach pain that no one knew what it was.

everyday i experience pain in my stomach/sides and back,it goes from a burning pain low down to a stabbing pain. sometimes its so sharp i have to stop what im doing. cancer never crossed my mind until recently. I am constipated and have blood when i wipe which i am not overly concerned about as i do have internal hemmoroids and fissures due to my labour which could be causing the bleeding. I have bowel movements around every 2 days and never feel complete. I am not looking for a diagnosis as i know that this site is not here for that reason but just some advise or if anyones ever experienced this as i am going out of my mind with worry.

thanks x

chickpea
03-11-14, 15:43

I just have a few unanswered questions, firstly i know this site can not diagnose or give medical advise, and secondly i will be the first to admit that i suffer HA and i am currently receiving treatment for it.

My question is if you have some form of cancer would a blood tests show something suspicious? i.e slightly raised or lowered cells.

my problem started 12 weeks ago after the birth of my daughter, i had a terrible labour and long story short i developed severe health anxiety due to stomach pain that no one knew what it was.

everyday i experience pain in my stomach/sides and back,it goes from a burning pain low down to a stabbing pain. sometimes its so sharp i have to stop what im doing. cancer never crossed my mind until recently. I am constipated and have blood when i wipe which i am not overly concerned about as i do have internal hemmoroids and fissures due to my labour which could be causing the bleeding. I have bowel movements around every 2 days and never feel complete. I am not looking for a diagnosis as i know that this site is not here for that reason but just some advise or if anyones ever experienced this as i am going out of my mind with worry.

thanks x

Can I be honest?
I don't think talking to a cancer survivor is going to help you.
You sound like you could do with chatting to your health visitor. Giving birth is natural BUT pregnancy and labour takes a huge toll on the body, and looking after a new born is exhausting. It's possible you're suffering from PND, or it could be simply that you need someone to reassure you that the way your body is feeling is to be expected and will improve - or maybe you need physio etc.

You need support with your actual circumstances, not cancer.:hugs:

oldnews
03-11-14, 16:21
oh yes i completly understand that and just wanted that one question answered to ease my mind. I do suffer with PND but i know that these sypmtoms arent down to that. i just wanted to know if anyone has experienced something similar and it was something completly other than cancer and if bloods would show something suspicious

Carnation
03-11-14, 19:03
I agree with Chickpea. But, I can tell you that I had all of those feelings in my stomach and it was caused by Anxiety and I had blood tests done to check for any Cancer cells and they were fine. You can do that, just ask your GP, have a smear test and chest XRay if it will put your Mind at rest. My Mother is a Cancer survivor of nearly 50 years if you want me to ask her anything, I will. The Stomach pain was caused by Acid Reflux and I had to change my diet and since then, it has been fine. :)

bulan
03-11-14, 19:16
I agree with Chickpea. But, I can tell you that I had all of those feelings in my stomach and it was caused by Anxiety and I had blood tests done to check for any Cancer cells and they were fine. You can do that, just ask your GP, have a smear test and chest XRay if it will put your Mind at rest. My Mother is a Cancer survivor of nearly 50 years if you want me to ask her anything, I will. The Stomach pain was caused by Acid Reflux and I had to change my diet and since then, it has been fine. :)

Your Mom's story is an encouragement to hear. As a health anxiety sufferer, we need to hear more of these stories!! :)

Carnation
03-11-14, 19:26
Thank you Bulan and what makes it even more amazing was my Mum was diagnosed as Terminal and they got it wrong!!!!! She never knew, even to this day and that's why I also think that the Mind is a powerful tool in recovery. Use the Mind to rid the Anxiety and get better. I couldn't walk, talk, eat or sleep 8 months ago. I am now 80% recovered and still going. :)

oldnews
03-11-14, 20:39
thank you for your replies, i just wanted to know if bloods would be suspicious if there was cancer cells. im in constant pain and discomfort,like i need to go to toilet, but when i do its as though i havent been properly. I have had bloods and they all came back normal

chickpea
03-11-14, 20:50
thank you for your replies, i just wanted to know if bloods would be suspicious if there was cancer cells. im in constant pain and discomfort,like i need to go to toilet, but when i do its as though i havent been properly. I have had bloods and they all came back normal

That feeling can be caused by IBS. It can also cause pain, urgency, diarrhoea or constipation, bloating etc. It won't show up on blood tests. You could try taking peppermint capsules or drinking peppermint tea, and using a heat pad on your abdomen.

eeesh
03-11-14, 21:29
That feeling can be caused by IBS. It can also cause pain, urgency, diarrhoea or constipation, bloating etc. It won't show up on blood tests. You could try taking peppermint capsules or drinking peppermint tea, and using a heat pad on your abdomen.

Maybe clarify here, you mean IBS won't show up on blood tests, right? :unsure:

chickpea
03-11-14, 21:46
Maybe clarify here, you mean IBS won't show up on blood tests, right? :unsure:

Sorry - yes, that's what I mean. IBS is a syndrome and as such, is only diagnosed in the absence of other things.

I am an anomally - if you have IBD (not IBS), you would expect it to show in blood tests, such as CRP which indicates inflammation...but I have never had raised inflammation markers, even when very ill with Crohn's.
A more accurate test would be a faecal calprotectin stool test, which is used to differentiate between, for eg IBS and IBD by measuring levels of calprotectin (an indicator of inflammation in the bowel). Ask your GP for it.

Serenity1990
03-11-14, 22:02

thanks x

I don't think a cancer survivor would be qualified to answer these sorts of questions tbh.

Justinf
04-11-14, 09:53
A blood test won't show anything specific in the way of cancer. You can have cancer and have blood works that come up as completely normal.

eeesh
04-11-14, 11:16
A blood test won't show anything specific in the way of cancer. You can have cancer and have blood works that come up as completely normal.

Thanks for that...

lily1
04-11-14, 15:52
Anxiety goes straight to your bowels...

I had pain, loose stools for a year and I have been diagnosed with IBS.

As your constipated try drinking more and up your fibre intake that will help the piles etc.

I found when I stopped worrying about my stomach the symptoms stopped.

If your really worried see your GP and they can put your mind at rest.

You have recently had a baby so your body is still in trauma!

oldnews
04-11-14, 16:31
chickpea you do speak sense and i completely agree with what you are saying but yet with HA your mind does wander. I have always had problems with my bowels, constipation constantly, never loose stools, ever since i can remember i have been tired, no energy, weight loss and constipation, i would have pains just before i needed to go not constantly during the day. I have pains/sore stomach CONSTANTLY, i can not remember a time since giving birth that iv not been in pain. I get allsorts of pains upper and lower abdomen all down my sides and really low down. at first i thought it was my womb as i did have a womb infection after giving birth. I am currently under the care of a gyno who has only found a tilted womb and prolapsed pelvic walls due to my labour. I do suffer PND due to the constant pains and worry.im just worried as my bowels have changed alot since after the birth. I am stil going every couple of days but only a little bit at a time. I am currently drinking fybogel religiously but even when i do have a bowel movement i still have pain. I am not exaggerating when i say its constant pains and my stomach feels so tender and sore all the time. its been 12 weeks, surely i should be better by now.

SADnomore
04-11-14, 19:48
Hi, Oldnews!

Okay, well, here's the thing! :) It depends on the cancer, but yes, in fact, many cancers can be indicated by their "markers" in blood tests. Your doctor will know how to proceed.

Cancers of the lower digestive system are typically screened first by fecal tests such as mentioned. I just dropped one off at the lab yesterday. Nothing to it, just read the instructions. These days you just have to wipe, swipe that with the tiny wand and replace it in the wee plastic container and put it in the bag provided in the kit. Note time and day, include your doctor's form, and drop off at the lab.

THIS will be enough to rule out these types of cancers.

Last week, as a result of a finding of microscopic blood cells in my urine in routine checkups, I left a repeat urine sample at the lab which was sent for testing by cytology.

THIS will be enough to rule out cancers of the kidney/bladder/ureter.

I haven't heard back anything from the blood work I had done more than a week ago, therefore I expect there was nothing odd found. Doc is quite thorough, even had me do a fast for blood sugar check, because diabetes runs in my family.

The fecal test was done only because my father had colon cancer. I have had two colonoscopies in the past 8 years or so, during which no concerns were noted. The fecal test is a perfectly reasonable way to check once more. This is done regularly only because my father had colon cancer.

The urine test, as I say, turned up microscopic blood and so the doc just wants to rule out cancer, mostly because I am over 50. I expect cancers this may cause will be ruled out.

If you haven't had a full workup in 3 to 5 years, ask your doctor for a full checkup. For the office visit he will note your blood pressure, listen to your heart and lungs and test your reflexes, and no doubt look at your ears, eyes, throat and tongue and even your fingernails. Ask if you can have a CBC blood test with all the boxes ticked that are reasonable and appropriate (vitamin/iron checks, hormones. Whatever the doctor feels bears testing in your circumstances.) This will check your hemoglobin/white cell count etc., and reveal any possible markers that are typically noted in cancers which signal their presence in this way. Urine and fecal testing are usually done as part of a complete checkup as well.

The people who complete these tests are experts, and your doctor is trained how to respond to results in medical school. Not being facetious here but diseases follow a pattern that has long been established, and so if they/he say you don't have cancer, then you don't have cancer.

Before you take my advice I have a question for you. Will you commit to believing them when they tell you this?

I appreciate very much your sharing with us the truth about your HA. That's why I am asking. Because if you will accept the all-clear and will move on to explore other possible reasons for the pain you are experiencing (including anxiety for which you will seek treatment), maybe an abdominal ultrasound if your doctor is willing, then it is worth it. If not, then do not proceed because it will be a waste of time and money, go straight for help with your anxiety. And depression as diagnosed.

Congratulations on the baby, best wishes and good luck! xx
Marie :hugs:

Abarth
05-11-14, 13:18
Brilliant post Marie - Nothing more to be said.

chickpea
05-11-14, 13:24
Just to say - 12 weeks is no time at all after having a baby. Your body has gone through 40 weeks of growing one, and then the equivalent of a car crash to deliver it!
Seriously, I understand how unpleasant and distressing the pain is, but it *could* all be down to post natal stuff - there's no reason to think it's cancer.

oldnews
05-11-14, 21:14
chickpea - 12 weeks is no time at all and i understand it takes around a year to fully recover after a birth, i have been to see a gynacologist today and its been confirmed i have yet ANOTHER womb infection - my womb is tilted and the neck of my womb is very inflamed, if the antibiotics dont work (which i doubt they will as this will be my 5th lot) I have to go for surgery to remove adhesions from the reoccuring infections. So that explains the lower stomach pains - but the upper stomach cramps and pains are still a mystery. Iv had laxatives and fybogel all week to see if it is indeed constipation and the pains dont seem to be going, but saying that they havent been as bad today. Its strange because i was never like this over my health, i think having a baby really does affect us in a massive way and every ache and pain we think is serious as we are so scared of leaving our babys,

Marie - Thank you for the advise, I will ask my doctor if he is offering any of the tests just for peace of mind, after all all my bloods are normal and i know i should be taking peace of mind from that but its hard with all this pain