PDA

View Full Version : Lots of frustration

TheGreatPretender
02-01-07, 23:31
I guess it's social anx i have,was diagnosed by an idiot GP who didn't really help or have to much time 4 me,I briefly explained my problem and got thrown on antidepressants 4 a short time,obviously didn't help,this was when i was bout say 21.

My problem is like walking up in2 town for shopping whatever and seeing people i used to hang around with or used to know etc,don't go up the pub very often 4 same reasons,also meeting new people can be hard nowadays.It's just 2 easy to keep saying no 2 invites all the time and stay in.Yeah like being in shopping queues makes me really selfconcious 4 eg.I get embarrassed now and again which i guess is normal but it's like cause I'm a 25 yr old man it's not acceptable which ofc make it an issue..

When i was younger i used 2 smoke alot of dope.I was 15/16 Just what we all did around here.I quit at 19,during this time was when i started to change.I have only my self to blame and i regret that alot.

Recently I've been getting so frustrated of it all so looked for help.No1 knows what i'm going through,not friends or family.I'm responsible for sorting this mess out my self so thats what I'm doing right now.
Seeing a hypnotherapist/psychologist atm,had about 10 sessions so far,CBT suggestive and progressive theropy.There are a few issues with my dad when i was a kid(just really hard on me) that he blames and dismisses my dope theory.Guess it's a bit of both tbh.My biggest hang up is meeting a girl which atm seems impossible.

KITTY_001
03-01-07, 00:01
well i can relate to having trouble meetin new people to me its cuase i dont like changes i like evrything to stay the same so i always i just stick to the friends i ave known for ages well
issues with dad are quite normal have you tried talkin to him and no im not a shrink well findin a girl is all bout confidence

shoegal
04-01-07, 00:52
Hi Richard. Welcome to NMP. First, let me tell you you are definately not alone. There are a lot of people with very similar problems.
People who suffer from panic attacks tend to have difficuties in very similar situations ie social situations, shopping queues, waiting rooms etc. It is because we are afraid we will have a panic attack in a place where we feel trapped or where people will see us. We also tend to think negatively and blow things out of proportion.
We all look for reasons why we suffer from this disorder, but sometimes there is no reason, it just happens. I have never taken drugs, but I suffer from anxiety and I know plenty of anxiety sufferers who have never taken drugs. I also know lots of people who are (or have been) heavy drug users and they do not suffer from anxiety. Smoking cannabis may have contributed to the onset of your anxiety, but I believe if it had not, something else would have, so try not to be so hard on yourself.
I am glad you have saught help. Is there nobody you can confide in? I have found that when I tell people they are more understanding than I expected, although there will always be some people who do not understand. And by the way, over the years I have had a few boyfriends and none of them were bothered about my agoraphobia so there is no reason for you not to have a relationship. It sounds as though you lack self confidence which is probably why you have not met anyone yet, but when you do, please don't make the mistake of hiding your problems... be honest right from the start.
I hope this has helped a little. Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
Hope you feel better soon. [8D]
Love and hugs, shoegal xxx

TheGreatPretender
05-01-07, 22:47
Thanx for the comments,makes alot of sense.
I would never talk to my dad about things,best forgotten in my mind.
I know that if talked to some people about this they might understand but just rather wouldn't.I did tell a good m8 about this a while ago and he didn't take it that well,he's just one of those people i guess.

shoegal
06-01-07, 04:20
Hi leigo. It's a shame the friend you confided in was not more understanding but don't let that stop you confiding in others. He probably did not understand. You will find most people are quite sympathetic and will try to help.
Do you work or go to college? Colleges often have good counsellors you can confide in. If you are not taking any medication, I would go back to your Doctor and explain that you have an anxiety disorder that makes it difficult for you to go out. There are all sorts of medicines that can help including beta-blockers or valium, you don't necessarily have to go on antidepressants if they are not right for you. I have diazepam which I just keep for emergencies. Just knowing I have some in my back pocket is usually enough - I haven't taken one in 6 months. :)[Yeah!]
You think that no one knows what you are going through, but believe me, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING THROUGH and so will many others in here. You are not alone. Anxiety affects a lot of people in different ways but you would never know it to look at them. You will get better in time, so please don't worry.
Please feel free to PM me if you need to talk.
Hope you feel better soon. :)
Love and hugs, shoegal xxx