PDA

View Full Version : Think I'm Addicted, thoughts

DOT COTTON
03-11-14, 18:17
hi

I Have a long history of mental health problems and my doctor put me on lyrica for anxiety, but I was given Lyrica by a friend not knowing it was actually knowing it was for anxiety at the time but with 'luck' my doc prescribed it to me for anxiety and I thought i was in heaven, but now im in a loop i get 200mg twice a day but im using a months worth's of supply within a week, I cant get enough, I take around 5-7 per day and when I run out, I literally cannot function and get out of bed to do the simple of tasks, I NEED lyrica to function.

I have a history of drug addiction and now lyrica seems to be the next fix.
What are your thoughts peeps?

grapefruitmoon
03-11-14, 20:21
Just to clarify, are you taking 1000-1400mg pregabalin per day for a week or so and then have nothing for a long period of time before getting your next prescription? If that's the case you are probably 'not functioning' because you're not getting a steady constant supply of the med going into your body, not because you're addicted. 600mg as you probably know is the maximum recommended daily dose, I'm not sure what happens if you go beyond that or if any studies have even been done into it. I'd imagine the 600mg is set for a reason.

I'm on 350mg a day and am relatively new to it, others with more experience will probably have more knowledge. Good luck:hugs:

hanshan
04-11-14, 09:59
There are case reports on this.

Generally, Lyrica is not regarded as habit-forming for those who take it as prescribed.

Unfortunately, there are a small number of reports of people who have become dependent on large non-prescription doses. Typically they (1) have a pre-existing history of substance abuse and (2) quickly exceed the maximum dose (within days) by two or three times.

You need to be honest with your doctor and devise a taper down.

SarahH
04-11-14, 11:47
Yup, as usual, I agree with Hanshan......see your Dr...NOW!

DOT COTTON
04-11-14, 16:08
I'm thinking of asking GP to increase to 300mg x2 daily to combat this.

hanshan
05-11-14, 12:05
I think the only long-term solution is to take your prescribed dose each day and never more.

The friend who gave you a prescription drug to take without knowing what it was prescribed for (or presumably the correct dosage) is no friend.

DOT COTTON
05-11-14, 21:28
Thanks for all your advice guys.