PDA

View Full Version : can someone enlighten me on the esa process in regard to mental health?

johnno
03-11-14, 19:42
Hi, I'm strongly considering applying for esa but have conflicting ideas of how it may go.
I know I'll be sitting there thinking am I just applying for this out of easiness? Or Do I really need this? Am I really that unfit to work.
I know with physical disabilities its slightly more straight forward. You can either work or you can't. I think with mental illnesses its more complex. I could work, yes but only to my own detriment. At the moment I'm in shock from a recent event. My anxiety has heightened, I'm avoiding people and just feel messed up and dreadful inside. I really need help with my current state of mind. I am very hesitant in asking the doctor for a sick note but I feel I need to.
Can anyone relate and have been through the benefits process?
I'm also facing the prospect of losing my job and consequently losing my flat. I don't know where to seek help. I feel trapped and limited to what I can do.

MrFriday
04-11-14, 08:32
Hi

I was going to apply for ESA when my depression and anxiety reached its peak. I decided not to apply for ESA. The whole process was too stressful and I felt like no one is going to take me seriously. I'm lucky because I can survive on savings.

In your situation you need all the help that you can get. I would get in touch with the CAB and speak to an adviser about your situation. In addition, go and speak to your doctor about getting a sick note. They are supposed to help you

johnno
04-11-14, 08:56
Cheers mate. Yes I just get tired of that look they give as if I'm just going through a phase or somethinh. I mean how do you explain to someone you know is going to judge you on your evaluation of your mental health. I naturally don't want to sound like I'm begging but neither do I want to sound so casual that I come across as if I've just had a bad day. Also the added stress of knowing their decision could either make or break my life is just as daunting as my current state of mind, as I know my mental health will probably deteriorate further.

Annie0904
04-11-14, 13:17
It isn't an easy process, I went through it a couple of years ago. You have to have a medical assessment. You will also need as much back up letters as you can get from doctors and Psychologists. I was awarded ESA for 1 year (contributions based) and put in the working group which means they 'help' you get back into work. The other group is the support group. After the year my ESA stopped and I haven't bothered to try to go through it all again.

MrFriday
04-11-14, 17:13
Cheers mate. Yes I just get tired of that look they give as if I'm just going through a phase or somethinh. I mean how do you explain to someone you know is going to judge you on your evaluation of your mental health. I naturally don't want to sound like I'm begging but neither do I want to sound so casual that I come across as if I've just had a bad day. Also the added stress of knowing their decision could either make or break my life is just as daunting as my current state of mind, as I know my mental health will probably deteriorate further.

I feel your pain. The system is not as helpful as it claims to be. If you find it difficult to express yourself verbally, then try to put it in writing...though they may cross-reference your responses to what you have written down. Keep reminding yourself that you are entitled to this money.

I'm also facing the prospect of losing my job and consequently losing my flat

This is very concerning. I would mention this. I know this may only delay the inevitable but budgeting can help. Budgeting has helped me to reduce my worries and I'm using my savings more efficiently.

RosieLee
27-11-14, 15:58
I was made redundant last year and at the beginning of this year still hadn't found anything which made my MH take a turn for the worse and lead to an OD. I was taken off JSA and applied for ESA in February this year and i am still waiting for an assessment almost a year later. In that time I've been formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist and referred for long-term psychotherapy but i really want to start getting my life back on track - which i can't do until i get assessed and access to the help and support i desperately need. The assessment phase is meant to take no more than 13 weeks but thanks to ATOS they're now saying people could wait up to 18 months!
It's so horrible, feel like I'm living in limbo and unable to move forward with my life and there's nothing i can do about it. I'm pretty much penniless and rely on friends and family to help me as my claim for PIP also took so long the info i gave them was put of date by the time i was assessed and i didn't have any external references (unlike now, as i have a welfare worker through my gp surgery).
The assessment process and criteria are so complex and drawn out i wouldn't wish it on anyone - i can't wait to be well enough to go back to work and leave this mess behind!

Maybe your gp can refer you to a similar person to the welfare worker that i see? Its probably also worth contacting your local Mind centre too as they have been very helpful for me in the past :-)

johnno
07-02-15, 08:31
Oh God really ? I didn't know that. That is why ATOS haven't contacted me then. I've been wondering why I haven't heard from them to continue through to the assessment.