PDA

View Full Version : Hair pulling! Is it OCD?

Red angel
03-11-14, 22:38
Hi for over 15 years I have pulled at my hair and always thought of it as a habit but because I suffer with GAD and PD a few forums I have seen or websites said its a form of OCD ...the hair pulling is all day everyday it's like I can't help pull at small strands of my hair now my hair is snapping off not noticeable as I usually pull from underneath near my neck but I'm worried ill end up really damaging my hair ..has anyone else got this problem or do u know of any tips how I can stop it half the time I don't know I'm doing it x

MM
04-11-14, 00:01
I'm not a doctor- but that sounds like a mild mild mild form of tricotillomania which is a impulse control disorder. but it can definitely be a habit too! going to a psychologist/therapist can help SO MUCH for this but if you can't go to one, try to distract yourself. in some respects its similar to biting your nails, something that can be overcame through distraction. Just like biting your nails, some techniques are maybe getting a stress ball, wearing slippery gloves so you can hold on to your hair, keeping your hair back in a ponytail, etc. Don't worry too much, just acknowledging you want to stop it is a great first step and i hope all works out for you. Be sure to use techniques to relieve anxiety when you realize your pulling- deep breaths, distraction, etc. :)

Fishmanpa
04-11-14, 00:16
I always thought it was just being passionate.... Ohhh wait... your OWN hair.... never mind ;) Besides, I really have nothing to pull :blush:

Positive thoughts

MyNameIsTerry
04-11-14, 07:41
I always thought it was just being passionate.... Ohhh wait... your OWN hair.... never mind ;) Besides, I really have nothing to pull :blush:

Positive thoughts

Sounds like you've seen a fair bit of action then FMP :winks::D

---------- Post added at 07:41 ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 ----------

I'm not a doctor- but that sounds like a mild mild mild form of tricotillomania which is a impulse control disorder. but it can definitely be a habit too! going to a psychologist/therapist can help SO MUCH for this but if you can't go to one, try to distract yourself. in some respects its similar to biting your nails, something that can be overcame through distraction. Just like biting your nails, some techniques are maybe getting a stress ball, wearing slippery gloves so you can hold on to your hair, keeping your hair back in a ponytail, etc. Don't worry too much, just acknowledging you want to stop it is a great first step and i hope all works out for you. Be sure to use techniques to relieve anxiety when you realize your pulling- deep breaths, distraction, etc. :)

Yes, Tricotillomania is a condition that is also considered a form of OCD as well as an impulse control disorder now.

I think I've heard its more commonly developed in earlier age as with skin picking.

OP - I would suggest heading over to the OCD board with this. You will find a lot of advice on tackling OCD on there from some of us that have beaten a lot of it.

Red angel
04-11-14, 10:41
Thanks for your replies I started doin it at the age of 15-16 I was in a violent relationship and that's when it started I have tried to stop but the urge to pull is hard to ignore I end up pullin at it more if I try to stop myself .thankyou for your replies I will read up on the condition abit more and see if there's any other ways to teach myself to stop :-) x