PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Depression??

karl
27-08-04, 14:47
Hi

I just wanted some advice and opinions on something.
3 months ago i was visiting my parents when all of a sudden out of nowhere i came over all lightheaded, my vision went abit funny and i felt like i was about to collapse, it didnt feel real, although my breathing seemed ok is this a familair sounding of a panic attack?
ive had 4 or 5 more of them since, and ive been woken up by them and i pace around for ages as it makes me feel like ive got to move and cant relax.
But ever since i first had that attack it seemed to have drained my energy and i have these symptoms every day:-

Lack of energy/tired all the time, shaky hands, feelings like im constantly choking feels like someone is pushing on my throat,my head feel achy and like its heavy like someone is pushing on it, my sleeping pattern is alittle bit effected, i dont seem to want to do anything not even housework anymore but i dont get emotional or anything as ive never been an emotional person.

I went to the docs, who have done 2 full blood tests on me , plus an ECG and urine but nothing has been found.

Ive been told its stress, depression, anxiety disorder. and have just started recently taking cipralex hopefully it will make me feel better.

I am starting to doubt whether i have depression and get paranoid about having something bad wrong with my like a brain disease thats going to waste me away or something, do you think im being stupid? my parents are both healthy and im only 22 years old so i dont think its likely that i would have something like that but theres nothing in my life i could think of that could have caused the probelm apart from i was very stressed out the day i had that first attack but i have always been astresful person, another thing is i had 5 months of bad pain waiting for 4 wisdom teeth to be taken out and i dont think my body appreciated that.

Be grateful for some opinions on the matter.

Thankyou.

stimpy
27-08-04, 15:37
Hi Karl and welcome :D

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">lightheaded, my vision went a bit funny and i felt like i was about to collapse</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

That sounds very much like a severe bout of De-personalization / De-realization, to me.

De-personalization / De-realization is one of the hardest things to describe, unless you have suffered it, it is almost impossible to find words that relate to how you feel.

Many people feel kind of dizzy, blurry and light headed.
Many people feel as if they are walking around in a dream.
Others say they feel like they are watching themselves in the 3rd person.

No, there is nothing wrong with your brain. It is just another horrid symptom of depression and anxiety.

I find that certain situations bring on the "unreal".
Standing near busy roads attempting to cross, is a big pain.
Especially when you feel as if the cars won't hit you because you are a ghost and not really there.

I was told to touch something solid as it helps you to feel something real that you can touch, or stamp your feet to feel the ground beneath you.

It is also common for us anxiety sufferers to feel drained and very lathargic. Infact I myself go from exhaused to "Tasmanian devil" back to exhaused on a daily basis.

I hope the medication works well for you and you get back on your feet in no time. :)

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'

seh1980
27-08-04, 17:37
hello there Karl,

Yes, that does sound like a form of panic attacks to me. I get a lot of the symptoms you mentioned quite often. I've been on Cipralex since last November and it has helped me loads. Hopefully it will do the same for you!! Take care.

Sarah :D

Wishingstar
28-08-04, 15:49
Hi Karl,

First of all, I definitely don't think you're stupid! :)

Just because you've always been a stressed out person doesn't mean you aren't reacting to that stress differently now than you were before. Many of us start feeling panic and anxiety in our early 20's...it's partly due to a fact of human development. As children and adolescents, we aren't actually able to comprehend anything will genuinely hurt us to the point of being deadly. In your 20's this starts to change...and so one thinks about one's own human limitations a bit more. Perfectly natural.

However, as you admited yourself, it is unlikely that anything is wrong with you....certainly not to the extent that you will waste away. Negative thoughts are very funny things. We can get so used to thinking negative thoughts about ourselves that they become instant.

I do hope the medication helps you...but do try to slow your thoughts down...try to unpick the negative things you think about and challenge them. This has helped me loads and loads but it is a skill! Lots of practice.

Good luck. :)