PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced unusual reactions to caffeine and/or sugar?

MoodyBlue
04-11-14, 07:04
Hi everyone,

I am really struggling with my anxiety at the moment and doing lots of things to try and help myself like going to hot yoga classes, having massages, meditating and practising mindfulness. However, the anxiety symptoms don't seem to be going away...but I know this doesn't happen overnight.

There is one symptom that is new and freaking me out quite a bit so thought I would see if anyone else has experienced it. At the moment, if I have more than two cups of tea or a biscuit or chocolate (particularly later in the day, say after 3pm), I feel really wired and like someone is forcing my eyes open - it's the strangest feeling. Now what I don't know is if my mind is doing this to me or if it's my body reacting to these stimulants?! I would be so grateful for any advice.

Thank you :)

johnno
04-11-14, 07:08
Oh yes I get this even from a little sip of coffee or an energy drink. That is why I never drink either of them. Hot chocolate usually gives me the opposite effect though. Our body definitely reacts to the food we consume.

MrFriday
04-11-14, 07:08
Hi,

I remember caffeine having a bad effect on me. It gave me headaches and made me angry. At worst it increases my heart rate and felt like I was unable to breathe. I never had this reaction until I began to take Citalopram.

At the moment I'm coming off this medication and avoid drinking coffee/tea/fizzy drinks.

chickpea
04-11-14, 08:36
I once had an iced mocha (I don't generally drink coffee) that gave me a full blown panic attack that lasted more than an hour - I was sweating, shaking, heart pounding,couldn't decide if I was going to throw up or empty my bowels...it was horrendous, particularly as I was in a car on the way to Cornwall at the time.

These days, I avoid caffeine as much as possible and stick to hot chocolate.

MyNameIsTerry
04-11-14, 08:58
It sounds like you are sensitive to it right now. When we are at our worst with anxiety disorders, I think we are more sensitive to any form of stimulation whether it is food or exercise.

Experiment with it to prove it one way of another, then cut it down for now and reintroduce it later to see if the sensitivity is gone. If it stays, work on cutting down or cutting out.

Good call on the Mindfulness by the way. This helped me more for my OCD than CBT did by a long way. Have you heard of Kundalini yoga? It seems to be closer to Mindfulness than other forms of yoga. Also, you could try Tai Chi or QiGong which are mindful movement forms.

Mindknot
04-11-14, 15:48
Definately, when I was really anxious even a cup of tea would mess me up. I think it's just because they are both things that get your heart racing - remember there's always decaffeinated tea, or herbal teas (but I know not everyone likes those). Also dark chocolate instead of milk chocolate as it has less sugar and helps you release serotonin (apparently). Anxiety has made me a total convert to dark chocolate. :yesyes:

CleverLittleViper
04-11-14, 16:06
I used to get heart palps if I consumed too much Coke.

I think some people are simply more sensitive to caffeine than others.

MoodyBlue
04-11-14, 17:44
Thanks for your replies everyone, I really appreciate it. While it is freaking me out, it's more frustrating than anything as two weeks ago I was absolutely fine drinking tea and eating chocolate, but then my anxiety peaked and like you say MyNameIsTerry, I've just become really sensitive to any stimulant. Hopefully it will settle down as my anxiety does.

Good luck coming off those meds MrFriday :)

spacebunnyx
04-11-14, 20:01
I can't drink any caffeine otherwise I stay up all night! Even chocolate does that. Xxx

Fishmanpa
04-11-14, 20:56
Only if I don't have my morning cuppa java... I'm one of those that can't see straight until about half a cup is gone ~lol~

Positive thoughts

bingjam
04-11-14, 21:41
I used to love coffee but it was making me feel that off I daren't even have another sip of coffee, I remembers last cup of coffee I had I drank on a empty stomachs and I was shaking, made me feel sick and almost brought on a panic attack

.... I'm now a total tea belly thankfully that doesn't effect me yay!!!