PDA

View Full Version : Fast Heart rate after standing up

trus75
04-11-14, 11:38
Hello people,

I know this is probably one of the most common symptoms of anxiety, but I'd like to ask if you ever experienced something similar:

- I've been anxious all this week, but in the morning, when I wake up, I am usually very calm.

- Today I slept not very well, only 4 hours or maybe less, but I was pretty calm too, just had a feeling about my body, I felt I didn't have enough rest. I measured my heart rate as always, and it was about 80 (usually it's 65-70 in the morning).

- As soon as I stood and went to pick some stuff from the floor, I felt palpitations, measured my HR and it was 140!! I tried not to panic, and I even managed to control my panic well. I came back to sitting and felt the heart slowing down. After 2 minutes it was already 100, and now after 2 hours it's about 80, which is normal.

I've had panic attacks many times but they all start with some crazy thoughts, I mean I never felt anything like today. I was not anxious and simply felt my heart racing..

Do you think it's "normal" for a super anxious people like me? I'm a little scared about this new symptom :lac:

Edit: I've had ECG with stress test, echo, blood tests just 2 months ago, and all was normal.

Junot
04-11-14, 19:26
I rarely experience palpitations or runs of palpitations but when I do, they usually occur out of the blue and last for about 5-10 minutes. The last time I did experience a run of palpitations was shortly after I got up from bed in the morning. I went to the bathroom and boom!

If you've been very anxious lately, I'd say it's normal. Your heart is constantly getting (nor)adrenaline shots. Taking your pulse every now and then won't help caming you down, that's for sure. It becomes addictive. You should rather distract yourself from your heart and heart rate. I know how hard it might be.

I also had tons of ECGs, stress tests, echocardiograms, 24-hour holter monitorings and blood tests done. They have always come back fine.

I don't know whether your taking medications for anxiety. But in case you are not, maybe you should discuss it with your GP/family doctor.

Last week I was exactly like you and many others on here. Constantly worried and panicking every 30 minutes. I've had an appointment with a psychiatrist, I'm on medication now and I will soon start CBT. Thus far, I've been feeling much calmer and my thoughts are much less centered in my heart and other diseases.

trus75
04-11-14, 22:28
Hello Junot and thank you for your advice.

After that episode in the morning, I had a very calm day. It was probably the best day in the past 30 days or so, I felt very calm, no anxiety, no panic.. I went to supermarket, walked, met people and nothing happened! It's so weird because I was supposed to feel very bad after that problem, but for some reason my body was relaxed today. But I'm not happy at all, because I know this is random stuff. I get fine for one day, then the anxiety comes back.

About the medication, I only take Diazepam in "emergency" situations (when I have a strong panic attack I put a 10mg pill under my tongue), but that's rare. I think during all my life I took 7 or 8 pills. It makes a nice immediate effect, but then I get sleepy, dizzy and exhausted for the next 2-3 days, so I really avoid taking it.

Thank you once again and take care

Aaahhfreakout
05-11-14, 15:50
I think it's normal.

I find my heart has moods, sometimes it seems to want to stay normal, sometimes it wants to be slow and sometimes it'll get fast very easily.

When it gets fast easily, it's amazing how it'll stay at 100+ if I keep taking my pulse and don't even feel very stressed. If I stop for a few minutes, don't think about it and then take my pulse again, it'll always been 85 or so.

I'm making my heart race even when I don't think I am.

So I think you've just had a heart in an "active" mood and a little anxiety and movement combining into a racing heart.

trus75
05-11-14, 17:08
Aaahhfreakout, I think you're right. This morning I was pretty calm again, my pulse was 66 (I know I shouldn't measure it everyday, but I can't stop it).
Then I remembered about the day before and I told myself "I will not get anxious today, I will not get anxious today, I will not get anxious today". 1 minute after that, my pulse was 100 and I could feel the anxiety over by body. I think in the day before I was anxious because I didn't sleep very well, and then I stood very fast which made my heart goes to 100+ and then I felt the palpitations, got anxious and it went to 130-140 in a few seconds. Now it makes sense.. I will not feed any bad thoughts about it, because I'm 99% sure it was just anxiety. If it was some kind of abnormal rhythm, it wouldn't slow down so fast and smoothly. I have enough problems so I decided to ignore this one. Thank you and take care.