PDA

View Full Version : ESA/benefits/working

HollieeB
04-11-14, 16:21
does anybody claim Employment support allowance because you're not able to work due to anxiety? I have been claiming for about 2 years now and have been in the work related activity group for a year.

It's been fine until I got a new adviser. she doesn't understand anxiety and makes me go in every 2 weeks for a 5 min appt which could easily be done over the phone. 2 weeks ago i went all the way there to find out my adviser was off sick..

Today I sat in the waiting room for an hour (!!) as she was running late then when she finally did see me she was answering the phone during out appt, and told me I have to attend a course which is 10 days in a row starting friday, I was very shocked and started crying because thats way too much for me, plus I do voluntary work and go to college so thought it was a bit unfair.

I hate the place, absolutely DREAD going, every time im there they ask me to do job searches but Im not ready to get a job!! which I've told them thousands of times.

She said I wont have to do the full 10 days but still have to go in friday which im already panicking about! I feel like they just want to get me to get a job asap so they can tick their boxes and say good riddance!!

gregcool
04-11-14, 17:54
Hi hollie.im on esa andmy doctor understands my mental health and is not forcing me into any kind of group or work related activity.as far as im concerned im mentaly unwell and could be like this for many more years to come,its already been 10 years so its not going to just go,you need to force your concern upon them telling them you are just nit ready for any kind of activity yet,im not even ready for vol work yet,only you know when you are ready for work,dont let them bully you,be firm

HollieeB
04-11-14, 19:26
Hi hollie.im on esa andmy doctor understands my mental health and is not forcing me into any kind of group or work related activity.as far as im concerned im mentaly unwell and could be like this for many more years to come,its already been 10 years so its not going to just go,you need to force your concern upon them telling them you are just nit ready for any kind of activity yet,im not even ready for vol work yet,only you know when you are ready for work,dont let them bully you,be firm

Thanks greg, every letter I receive says "if you dont come to this appointment/activity your benefit will stop" . they don't care at all they just need to tick their boxes. I think Im going to have a chat with my GP again but to be honest she thinks getting a job will help me !! i've been struggling with this for 3 years and am very very slowly doing more things but getting a job is a long way off.. it's not going to magically happen.

Are you in the support group for ESA?