PDA

View Full Version : Mono has me terrified.

Claudius
05-11-14, 01:46
I will be getting a blood test tomorrow, but I already know it's mono.

Background: About a week ago I finished a course of antibiotics (amoxicillin twice a day) and on Sunday I was forced into bed early by chills, low grade fever and nausea. The next day the fever and chills were gone but a rash started on my hands and systematically spread to my feet and face as well as a sore throat. I went to the doctors immediately because my brother had the same symptoms a week ago when they diagnosed him (It's still a mystery to how I got it. I'm basically a hermit and kept him at least a meter away from me when he had these symptoms). Today has been the worst. I've got terrible diarrhea whenever I eat something, and now there is a weird feeling on my left side. I know mono can come with an enlarged spleen, and I'm just terrified mine will burst. How easy is it for that to happen? No I don't exercise or play sports. Although should I avoid laying on my left side? I hate this. :weep:

---------- Post added at 20:46 ---------- Previous post was at 20:45 ----------

Also known as mononucleosis or the kissing disease.

.Poppy.
05-11-14, 02:39
Obviously, you should have your doctor address your concerns when you see him for the blood test.

However, mono is incredibly common. Usually people get it when they're younger, but every time I get sick the docs rule it out first, along with strep. I'm 23, so not "old" but not a teen - I think a lot of people get it as a teen.

Anyway, if an enlarged/burst spleen were so common with the disease, a lot more people would fear mono and take it much more seriously. As it is, it's something you get and it's no fun - a looooottttt of bed rest - but it's generally harmless. I've heard people say that you always have it in your system but I don't know if that's true and even if it is, it's dormant and doesn't harm you in any way. I have never heard anything about the spleen being in danger. In fact, the only time I have ever heard of someone damaging their spleen and having to get it removed was because of a major, major injury (ATV crash), nothing as simple as playing sports or laying on their side.

Just try to relax - I'm sure your doc will put your mind at ease. Just allow yourself to trust his judgement :)

Claudius
10-11-14, 06:21
Thanks. :) The rash has gone away and the test has come back as positive for mono. Been bedridden for a few days, most due to my GI tract acting funny which has set off my HA again. For two days I had diarrhea but then for the last three I was bloated and constipated to the point that my left testicle was starting to hurt. Finally go and have diarrhea again later. Definitely setting up another appointment with the doctor.

Does mono even include these symptoms?