PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia an starting new medication HELPPPP

honeyp1e
05-11-14, 09:23
I've been on citalopram 40mg for few years now and they have been great but lately I just don't find there helping anymore so my doc is dropping me from 40mg to 20mg and starting me on mirtarazpine 15mg am so SCARED to start these new meds as I worry about side effects (if they will a make me vomit) I really wanna get back to my good life again and take these tabs but my over thinking and phobia won't shut up that they will make me sick :(

Sunflower2
05-11-14, 14:04
Hey Honeypie,
As you might remember I am also severely emetophobic, and can't even face taking any medication in fear of feeling sick so I think it's very brave!
As for mirtazapine, I've heard it's the least likely to make you feel sick, and especially since you've been fine with citalopram then you'll know what to expect a bit! Try focus on that the medication will stop you worrying about feeling sick any more so it's a good thing rather than thinking all it will do is make you feel sick!
Good luck I'll be interested to see how you get on :)

honeyp1e
05-11-14, 16:09
Thanks kimberley2,, I've read up on the tabs and actually read that it has been given to cancer patients to treat nausea n help them sleep,, but yet my mind still thinks it will make me sick (stupid mind)

Here's the side effects

More common
Constipation
dizziness
drowsiness
dry mouth
increased appetite
weight gain

Less common -
Abdominal or stomach pain
abnormal dreams
back pain
dizziness or fainting when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
increased need to urinate
increased sensitivity to touch
increased thirst
low blood pressure
muscle pain
nausea
sense of constant movement of self or surroundings
trembling or shaking
vomiting
weakness

Sunflower2
05-11-14, 16:43
So if we think of it rationally (hard for us I know!!) that cancer patients must have a lot of nausea, so this must be pretty strong as an anti emetic. I think I read that it's kind of like an antihistine where it stops nausea that way as well. So that should be in your favour! Nausea could be caused by the dizziness or headaches some people get. Plus, I'm guessing as an emetophobe you get nausea a lot anyway? Try to imagine that it will just be the same as what you feel during a panic attack.. Does that help at all? I wish I could take my own advice haha. You could maybe ask your doctor for advice on this as well? Mine offered to prescribe an anti emetic on top of the anti depressant so I'd be in the same situation as you.

---------- Post added at 16:43 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Also more common for increased appetite! That's means you WANT to eat more, which is the opposite of nausea! :)

honeyp1e
05-11-14, 19:13
Shame we cant take r own advice :( i will hopefully take my tablets tonight xx

Sunflower2
05-11-14, 19:52
Let me know how you get on! :)

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-14, 04:33
I agree with Kimberley who has given you some excellent advice.

I would also remind you that you did get yourself onto Citalopram which can cause nausea as a side effect and you coped with that, so you do have the strength within you to do this.

I'm not an emetophobe but I can understand this fear of side effects because I've always struggled going onto anti depressants and they make my anxiety far worse, often for months. So, when I relapsed (I had come off Citalopram 6 months earlier) the last thing I wanted to hear was more anti depressants hence more side effects. I knew how it could be and I was at the end of my rope already so didn't want to be made worse but I had to accept that I couldn't go on and this would at least give me a chance of recovery. I just had to bear it out and take it day by day and tell myself this.

Given this is used to treat nausea, it does sound like the risk will be low though.

honeyp1e
06-11-14, 15:44
Well started tabs last night:) slept within half hour but the one this morning horrible taste in throat n sooooo tired drained all day xx

Sunflower2
06-11-14, 19:08
But no nausea?!