PDA

View Full Version : question id like to ask please

tricia56
05-11-14, 14:15
his finding out the root of of your anxiety the way forward of overcoming the anxiety as ive struggled with it now for 9yrs as soon as I wake up in the morning its there and lasts all day, I don't take meds im to petried done cbt 3times try to help myself , im constly asking myself why am I like it there must be something that is keeping it going and I keep thinking i should go back to my gp and ask if I see a pyhsicatrist or some one to see if its some thing else wrong with me even tho I saw a physicatrist 4yrs ago and said it was GAD, some one told me that I need to find the root of my anxiety as that will help me overcome it don't know if that's true or not, maybe some one on here can give me some advice , as I don't know if im doing every thing the wrong way ornot to help me overcome it thk you

---------- Post added at 14:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:15 ----------

maybe not

.Poppy.
05-11-14, 14:53
I just don't know if there is a "root". But if there is, it may be helpful.

I have GAD and used to have health anxiety. My health anxiety started with an enlarged lymph node that I thought was cancer, and every other "symptom" I had I would think was a "symptom" of that cancer, or the cancer spreading. This ultimately led to fear of other diseases and full blown HA.

Finally I got the courage to get the lump looked at and had bloodwork done - after nearly 8 years of having this thing I find out it's just a constantly enlarged lymph node and there's nothing to worry about. This put me in a frame of mind where I could finally put all of my HA behind me.

However, I still have GAD. It's harder, I think, to find a source of general anxiety perhaps because it's so general. It's just a state of mind we find ourselves in, and there are some physiological components which make it even harder to break the habit.

But maybe it's more about finding the root of the anxiety for the situation. I've found it helpful to ask myself if I can pinpoint why I'm feeling anxious at this time, and what I can do to make myself feel better.

PanchoGoz
05-11-14, 14:55
It's not the root or the start of the anxiety that is the problem, it's your habits that keep the anxiety in place that's the problem. You could say that your anxiety prolonging habbits are the root of the problem.
Don't start looking for some hidden trauma at this stage. You find a possible trauma but you might not be any closer to getting rid of the anxiety.
The way to overcome it is complete denial of anxiety, stepping out of the spiral of fear. What if you woke up one day and completly didn't care that you had anxiety. I mean, day after day you wake up feeling scared and you may go to bed scared but nothing bad actually happened. What if you woke up tomorrow and pretended completely that the anxiety had gone and was gone for good and you felt no symptoms at all (even if you can feel them in reality)? You could even call up all your friends and tell them you're cured for extra laughs. Do you think that would make it worse or better?

What's with the "maybe not" you only left it an hour...

tricia56
05-11-14, 15:13
thk you both for your replys pancho the maybe not wasnt ment to be in a nastie way to any one , I just thought maybe not no one can give me any advice that's its all.think im going to come off this site as its not like how it used to be, I used to feel that I could come on here and get support from fellow suffet rs and still do with some of you and I am very gratefull for their support but there is a few that I think that has a bad attitude towards me as im waste of their time and advice and I dont help mysaelf

PanchoGoz
05-11-14, 15:40
Where have you got this impression from? I didn't think there was any bad feeling in the posts above?

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

As a thought, when I joined in 2009 I feel the thing that has changed is there is more members on here trying to give advice than members trying to give comfort and support. Whether that is good or not, I think this is a thing of times, how forums are used now...

tricia56
05-11-14, 15:44
Where have you got this impression from? I didn't think there was any bad feeling in the posts above?

it was just the last bit you mentioned the wats with the maybe not ithought you was being abit funny with me that's all, I appolizie pancho if you didn't men anthing by it ,

PanchoGoz
05-11-14, 16:22
No but I was confused as it was only an hour after the post? Sometimes I'm right in the middle of posting to someone and they put up something like "nobody replies im leaving no one likes me" etc and it's upsetting as you can imagine when you're trying to write something helpful.

MyNameIsTerry
06-11-14, 04:17
I think it depends on whether the root cause is going to help you recover. This may not always be the case.

If you have events in your life which are causing your current behaviour, a therapist may choose to use a technique to explore those events in order to change your thoughts about them. That can be useful.

If your anxiety comes from a general source like mine which came from work and doing far too much as well as letter go of healthy behaviours, its less helpful. The humanistic approach is more appropriate as well as a holistic one because you need to correct negative beliefs, remove depleting activities, add in healthy behaviours, etc.

Anxiety is also often seen as a matter if tackling thoughts & symptoms but we also have to consider the impact to underlying elements such as self confidence, self worth, self belief & self esteem. By taking a holistic approach you can tackle these too otherwise you can still come out of therapy with underlying issue that can start to eat away at you.

Also, by holistic, I also mean you have to look at physical aspects such as fitness, diet, difficiency, other illnesses triggering anxiety or underpinning them, etc which GP's tend to ignore in favour of prescription & referral for CBT.