PDA

View Full Version : swollen glands and hiv

lildude6666
05-11-14, 16:55
i am suffering with very bad anxiety where i am seeing a psychiatrist. I have had a little lump either side of my groin and slightly in my neck now for the past 5 years. i recently kept looking on the internet and i sw that swollen glands is common in people with hiv. I have been with my partner for 3 and a half years and he got tested at the start and it came back negative. I have worried about hiv for many years now and up until 2 months ago i went for a rapid hiv test. this has to be the bravest thing i have ever done and the result came back NEGATIVE.I have recently been to the doctors with my concerns and he checked my groin area and he said it was tissue and ligaments i have been feeling, he also said that if they have been there for 5 years and if they were swollen they would be a hell of alot bigger by now. He had no more reasons for concern and he assured me that my hiv worry can finally be laid to rest after convincing myself for 5 years that i was infected. The doctor also told me i was way outside the window period of 3 months and that my negative result is conclusively. The question is : Is it normal to be still worried even though i am negative etc? The doctor obviosuly knows what he is talking about? many thanks

.Poppy.
05-11-14, 17:12
I'm not a doctor, but I think the reason people with HIV have enlarged lymph nodes is because it is a disease that attacks the immune system so they are more susceptible to the viruses and bacteria that we come into contact with on a daily basis. Since their bodies are reacting to those "invaders", their lymph nodes are enlarged because their body is trying to fend them off.

However, lymph nodes can become enlarged for any number of reasons, not just HIV. I personally have had enlarged lymph nodes for years - my doc isn't worried and I've had them so long if it were something serious I'd be very sick by now. It's the same with you - after 5 years, you'd know if you were sick if you were sick.

Anyway, the test is negative :) I'm sorry you are having anxiety but try to allow yourself to trust in the doctor as he is right.

Fishmanpa
05-11-14, 18:21
The question is : Is it normal to be still worried even though i am negative etc? The doctor obviosuly knows what he is talking about? many thanks

I think you know the answer to that as you're asking it on an HA forum. It's the crux of HA. The irrational fear of an illness that often is accompanied by insecurities despite conclusive proof to the contrary.

Positive thoughts

lildude6666
05-11-14, 20:34
the test i had done was way outside of the window period, the test i had done was the insti rapid test, it is a combo antibody and antigen test as far as i am aware. it took me almost 4 years to pluck up the courage to get a rapid hiv test done as i couldnt bear the thought of waiting 10days for my results. as you guys have said my test was NEGATIVE. i partly think because i convinced myself i was going to be positive and the swollen glands that is why the negative result may not be hitting me. Irregardless whether i had the standard or rapid test done after 4 years my test would have come back positive if that were the case?

CleverLittleViper
06-11-14, 11:15
Rapid tests are as accurate as standard lab tests. If you produced a negative result, it is because you are negative.

There is such a thing as a "false positive," but the chances of that are incredibly slim, but there is no such thing as a false negative.

lildude6666
06-11-14, 19:44
Rapid tests are as accurate as standard lab tests. If you produced a negative result, it is because you are negative.

There is such a thing as a "false positive," but the chances of that are incredibly slim, but there is no such thing as a false negative.

thankyou for your words of advice muchly appreciated, to be honest i was too scared to go and get a hiv test for like 4 years, but plucked up the courage do go and get a rapid result mainly for quicker results as couldnt bear waiting 7 days for result. my result came back as non reactive negative and like you have said if i had put myself at risk 4 years ago without doubt something would have shown up on the test, :)